Duck pen in progress

Yes! That was me 2 days ago: not leaving anywhere a raccoon hand might get in and do damage. THere are too many sad stories like yours, @Big Cluck
I’m sorry. It’s not easy… I was thinking carabiners but the last time I had a raccoon loss it was a big one and a person had tampered with my closure. So I’m going with something a raccoon cannot operate. period.

Hi all! I have a duck pen in progress here. It will house a pair of BEI/call cross (I think) ducks. The pressure treat rectangle will hold their pond, have a water porch and be filled with sand. The non pond end will have a food and water station. The little house is also not finished. The front panel is removable and the top will be on hinges. The ramp will have railings. When it’s finished it will have a net over the top of the pen. Everything I used was repurposed or up cycled except the pressure treat wood and the pond tub. The pond tub is a mixing tub from the concrete section of the box home improvement store. The house is built from pallets, leftover and reused plywood. The pen is a dog run we cut down from 7x14 to 7x7. I’m not in a super hurry as they currently live in a dog crate inside and are lovely to keep indoors provided they have plenty of outdoor time. Our previous ducks were large breed and could roam the yard. These little guys are snack size so they need constant hawk protection. Just thought I’d share the pictures, any input welcome. Happy ducking!
Does anyone have any ground cover suggestions that ducks won’t destroy? I know plastic grass is one of the only plants rated for duck pens, but I’m still hoping to find something that will survive them.

That looks great, and your duckies are adorable!!!

Apologies, I don't have more recent photos of our work in progress...

We used 8" standard blocks at 3 courses high as our base. We also poured a wide and deep cement base (butted to the ashfault) to help prevent predators from digging under it We cemented PT posts into the block cavities at 7-8ft. apart and used those to secure our wire too. We went with 1/2 galvenized/welded.

We make sure to remove their food buckets at night when they go to bed (duck house not pictured). We haven't had any issues with predators or opportunistic critters yet (except for a little chipmunk)... Even the local bear hasn't paid them a visit yet! *knock on wood*. We chose an open top enclosure because of the house, trees, and power lines, predatory birds can't really 'swoop' down into it... Mind you, I think four 12lb Pekins would give them a good run for their money 😅

Attachments

• 20220529_211316.jpg
    20220529_211316.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220529_211256.jpg
    20220529_211256.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 8
Does anyone have any ground cover suggestions that ducks won’t destroy? I know plastic grass is one of the only plants rated for duck pens, but I’m still hoping to find something that will survive them.
Mint! (But not peppermint) We planted a few big patches in our enclosure. Ours love to rub their faces into it, and route around in it, but rarely actually eat it.

Grows like crazy, helps calm them, and apperently it's like the duck version of vicks if they're stuffed up.

Hi all! I have a duck pen in progress here. It will house a pair of BEI/call cross (I think) ducks. The pressure treat rectangle will hold their pond, have a water porch and be filled with sand. The non pond end will have a food and water station. The little house is also not finished. The front panel is removable and the top will be on hinges. The ramp will have railings. When it’s finished it will have a net over the top of the pen. Everything I used was repurposed or up cycled except the pressure treat wood and the pond tub. The pond tub is a mixing tub from the concrete section of the box home improvement store. The house is built from pallets, leftover and reused plywood. The pen is a dog run we cut down from 7x14 to 7x7. I’m not in a super hurry as they currently live in a dog crate inside and are lovely to keep indoors provided they have plenty of outdoor time. Our previous ducks were large breed and could roam the yard. These little guys are snack size so they need constant hawk protection. Just thought I’d share the pictures, any input welcome. Happy ducking!

Attachments

• 491D48AD-1401-4B98-AF0A-E1A22EBC6E04.jpeg
    491D48AD-1401-4B98-AF0A-E1A22EBC6E04.jpeg
    466.8 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom