DUCK PEOPLE PLS HELP

Quarterhorses1

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Jan 18, 2022
Hi! I have 3 ducks, a male and two females. I am not home during the day, but I put my birds up at night. Last night I noticed my female Rouen was missing, later to find she has a nest under my coop. There’s snakes under there, so I put the eggs in my duck coop with the ducks.She’s showing interest in them as of right now. I’d love for them to hatch! Do I leave the female locked in the duck coop with the eggs until hatch, or let her range thr large run with the door open to the duck coop? My chickens will mess with them, but maybe they’ll sit on them 🤷‍♀️ Incubating isn’t an option, it’s all natural. What do I do!!!???

You can't keep her locked up for 28 days lol When I have a broody she builds her nest on the floor of the coop [I use deep litter] and she keeps to herself pretty much, but they need to be able to come out to eat drink bathe and do that nasty broody poop. Once they hatch they get a special bedroom all their own which is just lattice put up between them and the rest of the flock, [drakes can kill ducklings] Not all but some will.

Depends on how much you want to risk it. Odds are that the chickens won't mess with the nest too badly, but it still is a risk. If you don't leave everything open, what do you plan to do with the other two ducks?

You can't keep her locked up for 28 days lol When I have a broody she builds her nest on the floor of the coop [I use deep litter] and she keeps to herself pretty much, but they need to be able to come out to eat drink bathe and do that nasty broody poop. Once they hatch they get a special bedroom all their own which is just lattice put up between them and the rest of the flock, [drakes can kill ducklings] Not all but some will.
The duck coop is a coop with attached run, but she’s be sad. I’m gonna leave her out and see if she chooses to brood. Thx!

Depends on how much you want to risk it. Odds are that the chickens won't mess with the nest too badly, but it still is a risk. If you don't leave everything open, what do you plan to do with the other two ducks?
My hens are very gentle, so I think they’ll be fine. I was going to let the other ducks out with the chickens and keep her in but I think she’d just stress. I’m gonna give her the choice!

can you do something about the snakes? Id be concerned they can eat the babies after (if) they hatch. with the doors open can they get in the house too? But you have to leave door open. so hopefully you can get rid of the snakes...

can you do something about the snakes? Id be concerned they can eat the babies after (if) they hatch. with the doors open can they get in the house too? But you have to leave door open. so hopefully you can get rid of the snakes...
I just layed snake away ! It seems to be working but can’t risk leaving eggs under the coop where we can’t monitor! We haven’t seen one in weeks, but I need to be careful just in case

We just caught a blk snake who had been hiding in one of our coop and was eating duck eggs. They will eat eggs and ducklings/chicks. It's happened here and it's not something you want to find.

Can you close off that section where she laid? when my Muscovy decided to nest under the ramp [how she got under there is a mystery it's not very high]. But when I found her I got her and the eggs out and used hardware cloth to close off this area so she couldn't go back under.

Back
Top Bottom