Duck pond FAILURE - Kiddie pool CAUTION

TracyLovesDucks

Songster
5 Years
Mar 25, 2014
Northern Colorado
I had a bad experience with the kiddie pool I'd been using for my ducks. It started out being a bit of a pain in the neck (literally) as I was emptying it with a 5 gallon bucket every morning... not so good on the back. Then we got a dirty water pump for it... AWESOME. I just place it in the pool and plug it in to an extension cord and it does all the work for me. We got it at Harbor Freight for under $100. Things were looking up.

I was stacking large rocks on the inside of the pool so the ducks could get out easily. Anyways, the pool sucks and here's why. The only one I could find had silly images of flip flops and sunscreen bottles printed on it, and to protect these goofy and unnecessary images, there is a thin plastic film layer. It's unnoticeable until a disaster like mine arises --> Apparently, I scratched this layer when setting the rocks in, and realized just yesterday that the ducks had been picking at the scratch and having a lot of fun peeling off the plastic film and eating it! Not to mention, the paint used for the stupid images was coming off as well. I was so upset about the pool and am still worried about my ducks.

I wanted to share this story 1.) because I was totally unaware of the risk, and others might be as well (just watch for scratches and peeling if you use a kiddie pool with images printed on it), and 2.) to find out, what are the alternatives to using a kiddie pool?

Last edited:
Hope your ducks are OK. We use stock tanks, the 50 gal ones are about $70, lot more than the kiddy pools but last forever with ducks. They make them in quite a few sizes if you want to go a lot bigger. ie TSC's website, pretty much any type of feed or farm or even home improvement store will carry them (sometimes listed under goldfish ponds) http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/search/stock-tanks

Thanks, Kelsie. I think that's what I'll go for, but I'm wondering if the dark plastic gets hot enough in the summer to burn their feet as they are stepping out... and if it keeps the water too warm during hot weather?

And thank you for the well wishes. I think what happened is comparable to having eaten bits of a plastic grocery bag. Makes me nervous
sad.png

Last edited:
I do try to keep them in the shade, but haven't noticed a problem with the plastic ones like that, they do get warm/hot but not any worse than any other hard plastic... the water is going to get hot just like it would in the kiddy pool eventually.

Makes you wonder why they eat stuff like that, crazy birds.

I think they think it's leaves. Einz ate a piece of plastic right in front of me one day before I could get to her to stop her. Gad, I have died a thousand deaths raising these ducks. Okay, not literally.

I use concrete mixing pans that are black, but the day pen is shaded most of the day. I have a light blue doggie pool with no deco's. I do prefer the lighter color for summer. On really stinking hot days I change the water around 2 pm. Not an option for everyone.

I use the concrete mixing pans also. They are fairly small, I dump them daily and move them from place to place so they're in the shade on really hot days. Works well. I have 2 and may add a third, though so far the ducks don't get into disagreements over who gets to play in the "ponds". I did have one get a fairly large hole in it—I think UV light is hard on the pans. But they are inexpensive.

where did you get this pool? Maybe we should just avoid getting them there. I have one from dollar general, the images were printed before it was molded into the pool shape, as the pictures on the edges are stretched out lol. Doesn't have a plastic layer.

These are really good suggestions. Thanks everyone.

I will take a picture of the failed pool tomorrow and post it here.

I think they think it's leaves. Einz ate a piece of plastic right in front of me one day before I could get to her to stop her. Gad, I have died a thousand deaths raising these ducks. Okay, not literally.

I use concrete mixing pans that are black, but the day pen is shaded most of the day. I have a light blue doggie pool with no deco's. I do prefer the lighter color for summer. On really stinking hot days I change the water around 2 pm. Not an option for everyone.

I hear ya, Amiga! Was Einz alright?
Now just imagine what goes on when we are not around!!! Still love them, though :)

Quote:
I think it's pretty standard and generic. I got it at a grocery store. I couldn't see the plastic layer until it started peeling off. Maybe the picture will help tomorrow.

I will add some pools have the plastic layer, some do not. The pools without the plastic layer are typically more expensive and are made in the USA... We had this convo last year. The good pools are out there. I bought 2 at Kroger (grocery store).

I can't wait to see pics of the set up. Sounds to me like if you switch out the pool, you will be in business.

Back
Top Bottom