Duck predator and now possibly stressed duck

Cas1829

Chirping
Aug 1, 2019
I had 4 white pekins (1 drake and 3 hens). A predator got the 3 hens. Ate just the neck area and left them. I have set up traps all around thinking a weasel. However it has made me nervous so I brought my drake inside my house and made an area for him until I can seal up the duck coop better. I am honestly terrified to let him outside again. One hes alone and 2 I dont want him killed. I'm at a lost right now. I dont know if he is stressed being in house. He seems to have liquid poop (which i know most of duck poop is not super hard anyways). I dont notice any feather plucking but I'm open to some suggestions. Suggestions on how to keep predators away, what kind of predator does that to ducks, and what i should do with Donald. (My lonely drake).

I am very sorry for your loss. I actually think having him in the house is good because at least he will be with you and have some company. I am sure he will be very stressed out and depressed for awhile. Really you should start looking around at your local Craigslist and animal shelters and farms to try and find him 3 new girls.

I ordered a mirror yesterday and should be here today. I also got him a bunch of parrot toys. I have been in contact with a couple people trying to find mates. Just waiting on when I can get them. I am located upstate ny.

I ordered a mirror yesterday and should be here today. I also got him a bunch of parrot toys. I have been in contact with a couple people trying to find mates. Just waiting on when I can get them. I am located upstate ny.
Try making a post on your state thread on this forum maybe you will be able to find someone with some ducks to rehome.

What is your outdoor enclosure made of? How did the predator get in? Are you able to fully predator-proof the area before you get into getting any more ducks?

A trap will probably not be sufficient in the long run, you wont have just one weasel or raccoon or fox or whatever it was - you'll have packs or families or colonies and they'll keep coming.

Regardless I'd keep the drake inside for now, if for no other reason than to keep him company

Back
Top Bottom