Duck question .....

coop-er

Songster
7 Years
Nov 28, 2012
I have a flock of 18 hens and 1 bantam rooster. I am thinking of adding 2 ducks. Would the ducks wander down to my neighbors pond while they are free- ranging? The pond is not visible from the coop and it is approx 100 yards away. Would they find it anyway? I do not want to have ducks if they are going to be a nuisance to my neighbors. Any advice from the duck community would be appreciated. Thank you!

They might. Do you have a fence between your properties?

Mine usually range within 300 yards of their water source, but won't cross fence lines (unlike the chickens).

If there are no fences the ducks will more than likely find the pond. Then you have the problem of getting them off of it. If there is a fence and you get a breed that doesn't fly you should be fine.

They might. Do you have a fence between your properties?

Mine usually range within 300 yards of their water source, but won't cross fence lines (unlike the chickens).

300 YARDS!! Wow, I did not know that. There are no fences here, so I guess this won't work for me
1f61e.png

If there are no fences the ducks will more than likely find the pond. Then you have the problem of getting them off of it. If there is a fence and you get a breed that doesn't fly you should be fine.

Do they come home to roost like chickens? Or will they just become the neighbor's ducks if the neighbor is the one with the water source? Just trying to do a little research and educate myself to avoid a problem down the road! Thank you both for your help.

Our duck does what she pleases. They don't go to bed just because the sun goes down. She is too big to fly much, but when she wants over a fence, she can find the motivation. Luckily, our neighbors like her and enjoy petting her when she wanders by them.

Last edited:
I'd say that without a fence, your ducks will become your neighbor's ducks. Once they find that pond, good luck getting them off it! I've got Muscovies, Indian Runners and Rouen ducks, and none of them ever want to go back in the run after free ranging. The chickens will put themselves to bed and return to the coop; the ducks like to stay out and party. The only reason they get out of their kiddie pool is after they've splashed all the water out of it. Then they go off looking for puddles.

I agree with the others. The pond would be a more natural environment for them so they would probably want to stay on it and not return to a coop at night.

My ducks have discovered the pond across the street where there are 4 young ducks. The male is attacking them as if it was protecting the female or nest. We do have a pond and another female sitting on a nest in our own yard. He hurt one yesterday. My neighbor is threatening me and I just want to discourage them from gowing over there. Would making their own food supply here help? Right now they just eat with our chickens.

Back
Top Bottom