Duck questions!

ChickenRadio

Songster
8 Years
Hello! Me and my mom and sister are thinking about getting duucks but we have a few questions. I thought i would make a thread here and see if i can get some answers! Here are the questions.

Can ducks live with chickens?

What are the best layers? (We want ducks for the eggs)

Are can ducks live with horses?

Will ducks fight the chickens or vice versa?

Would ducks attack dogs? (We have a little white mix dog that goes out with us when we go to take care ofthe animas. Shes good with the chickens. She leaves them alone they leave her alone. Would ducks do that?)

What are the best hatcheries/feed stores that we could get ducks from?

Those are our questions! Thank you for looking!

Hello! Me and my mom and sister are thinking about getting duucks but we have a few questions. I thought i would make a thread here and see if i can get some answers! Here are the questions.

Can ducks live with chickens?

What are the best layers? (We want ducks for the eggs)

Are can ducks live with horses?

Will ducks fight the chickens or vice versa?

Would ducks attack dogs? (We have a little white mix dog that goes out with us when we go to take care ofthe animas. Shes good with the chickens. She leaves them alone they leave her alone. Would ducks do that?)

What are the best hatcheries/feed stores that we could get ducks from?

Those are our questions! Thank you for looking!
Hi!

Ducks can live with chickens and there are some differences. One big item is that drakes - male ducks - can try to mate with chickens and hurt them seriously, I have been told, even fatally.

Some chickens don't like some ducks - it is up to them, really, though you can help things along by giving them enough room and I think making sure everyone gets treats while together helps them associate good feelings with being together. I do that introducing new ducks to the flock.

Ducks don't roost, so they need a place where roosting chickens won't poop on them.

There are some really good layers - Golden 300s, Runners, Khaki Campbells, others.

I would think that ducks are at risk of being stepped on by any larger animal, including people. And many people with horses also keep ducks.

Some ducks antagonize dogs. Some ducks have dogs as best friends. Depend on how you raise them, and the individual personalities.

I got my runners as babies from Meyer Hatchery - they are great! And I got my buffs as adults from Majestic Waterfowl Rescue. They are great, too.

Back
Top Bottom