Duck ramp and height of duck house

Interesting. So you say the steps work better than a ramp? I also don’t want a long ramp precisely because I’m limited with space in their run. Something to jog around in my head…
I wouldn't use steps long term as aging ducks might not be so agile as my 2 year old boys. Whereas aging arthritic ducks may be able to waddle up a suitable incline for longer

One mistake a lot of people make is making the door much too small for ducks. Chicken door size is much too small for ducks. If you want them to go in easily make it 3’x 3’. We herd our ducks twice daily into a smaller pen to catch and move them from their barn indoor pen to outdoor movable pens. If I make the opening 2 ft wide, all the ducks will run around it. However, opening the width to 3 ft causes them to run right in. Seems like 3 ft is the magic width. I see lots of people post their ducks won’t go into the house but the doors are a foot wide and tall…

Ducks need a very gradual slope on the ramp - the heavier breeds especially!! If it's low enough I think it's fine without side rails - but mine do step or fall off the side of the ramp, which is only maybe 4 inches or so at the highest section, so if high enough to cause a leg injury if they fell off, I personally would put a side rail. I think a ramp is way better than steps. Some sort of grippy material such as astro turf or outdoor carpet will help them as well. I like that you're thinking of this detail!

One mistake a lot of people make is making the door much too small for ducks. Chicken door size is much too small for ducks. If you want them to go in easily make it 3’x 3’. We herd our ducks twice daily into a smaller pen to catch and move them from their barn indoor pen to outdoor movable pens. If I make the opening 2 ft wide, all the ducks will run around it. However, opening the width to 3 ft causes them to run right in. Seems like 3 ft is the magic width. I see lots of people post their ducks won’t go into the house but the doors are a foot wide and tall…
Hmm, I already framed out the duck door at 14”Wx18”H but I can make it wider still. We have strong winds where I live though and large doors get blown around easily if not securely attached so I thought a smaller door can be more easily attached to the side of the duck house. Also, the ramp needs to be made wider too if the door is that wide, correct?

Also to add on door width, I read when building/researching mine....to make it 2 ducks worth wide, because they won't always file one by one in. And may try to go in at the same time as another and get stuck lol. So better to go bigger than smaller
Gotcha! I guess that like chickens, they don’t always wait their turn.

Ducks need a very gradual slope on the ramp - the heavier breeds especially!! If it's low enough I think it's fine without side rails - but mine do step or fall off the side of the ramp, which is only maybe 4 inches or so at the highest section, so if high enough to cause a leg injury if they fell off, I personally would put a side rail. I think a ramp is way better than steps. Some sort of grippy material such as astro turf or outdoor carpet will help them as well. I like that you're thinking of this detail!
Hmm, I was going to use planks of wood for gripping but from videos I’ve watched, some ducks have a problem even walking on those. Astroturf/outdoor carpet seems more secure for them to step on. I didn’t know ducks can get leg injuries from a ramp. We can’t have any of that! Yes, I tend to overthink things which is better, I guess, than not thinking of them at all!

I didn't say they work better! I said my ducks have no problem with my back steps and that I am going to use steps to my duck house [as a temporary measure] as I don't have room for a long, low incline, ramp. I am raising my duck house on 3 cinderblock height wall and temporarily need the ducks to use the current door until I can make a 'made to measure' new door.
Got it! I understand now. Never in my life have I ever contemplated ducks’ feet so much!

Hmm, I already framed out the duck door at 14”Wx18”H but I can make it wider still. We have strong winds where I live though and large doors get blown around easily if not securely attached so I thought a smaller door can be more easily attached to the side of the duck house. Also, the ramp needs to be made wider too if the door is that wide, correct?
That is about the size of the door in my son's duck coop that was originally a tractor. His three pekins go in and out all day for food. They sometimes go in on their own at night but more often than not prefer to wait at the garden gate for him to appear!

Back
Top Bottom