Duck Ramp Grip Options

gingerviolinist

Chirping
Jun 5, 2017
After 2 failed attempts at getting my ducks the measly 9 inches off the ground and into their coop every night on their own, I have a third attempt that still needs some tweaking. Seeking advice and recommendations.

Attempt 1: FullSizeRender 6.jpg
18" long x 12" wide wood ramp with wood rungs every 4 inches - tried adding guide rail sides to no avail - refused to use for 2 full weeks.

Attempt 2: FullSizeRender 8.jpg
Cement paver steps 18" wide x 6" deep - tried a set of 3 steps and a set of 4 - reluctantly began using every other night after another week. Now treating stubbed toes, overgrown toenails, and bumblefoot in 4 out of 6 ducks.

Attempt 3: FullSizeRender 9.jpg
36" long x 16" wide wood ramp - 5 out of 6 ducks used this for the first time tonight, with some herding and mealworm persuasion. Very slippery! Will this option be better than the first 2? Looking to add some non-abrasive grip to add to the ramp. Rubber mat flooring? Plastic turf? Yoga mat? Shelf liner?

I like yohr 3rd attempt and I would use the self adhering shelf liner they sell at WalMart....we use that in our brooder for ducks and it is really good. If ya live where it freezes use some straw or hay on it when it is icy....it will allow footing and easily swept off when it melts. If it refreezes or ya have snow fall overnite just keep adding to the layers and don't worry about cleaning it off until it melts.....if ya live where it stays cold, then it will create problems being too slick for them to climb up or come down and would risk foot and leg injuries. Depending on how many ducks ya have, ya may want to make their access door a little wider.....they like to waddle in a double line, but anything new will take them several days to get comfortable with....hope it works out for ya....:)

If possible you could do a sloping ramp of dirt, and if you don’t want dirt against the coop place some cinder blocks down that the dirt leads up to. Hope that makes sense. I guess like if you took attempt two and covered it in dirt.

I made a rock ramp up to my ducks pond and they adjusted well to it. I found something more natural with a lot of traction and not an obvious structure works well.

Attachments

• A5D0D146-E30B-4A45-BB42-1527BA027BF1.jpeg
    A5D0D146-E30B-4A45-BB42-1527BA027BF1.jpeg
    746.1 KB · Views: 50
The first one looked fine to me. It just takes training. We had ours in an old barn when we first got them and they had a similar ramp, but much higher (probably about 2-3 feet up). For the first couple weeks we had to herd them and often place them on the ramp. After that, they got the hang of it and did just fine. Half the time, they just jumped on/off it about half way up.

The first one looked fine to me. It just takes training. We had ours in an old barn when we first got them and they had a similar ramp, but much higher (probably about 2-3 feet up). For the first couple weeks we had to herd them and often place them on the ramp. After that, they got the hang of it and did just fine. Half the time, they just jumped on/off it about half way up.

True! And I was thinking maybe the first and third option combined. Maybe your ducks are more comfortable with the wider ramp of the third option, but it wouldn’t be slippery if you added the rungs.

If some of them used the 3rd one go with that. I had a similar ramp for a kiddie pool. I covered it with a piece of faux grass/turf carpet. I just wrapped it around the edges so everything was covered and used basic construction staples. It was easy and they all used it. It gave them the right amount of traction. I did pile up some mulch and old boards underneath to stabilize it since I couldn't attach it to the pool.

Back
Top Bottom