Duck Run

cher1fan

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 12, 2014
I have four ducks, 2 mallards and 2 pekin. What size run should I build and what size wire should I use. I mean should I use 1/4 in holes or can I use bigger?

You can use bigger holes. I used 1" chicken wire with snow fence over it. I build the runs as big as I have space for. The run for my Muscovies is about 12 by 12 feet and the Pekin one is bigger yet. I have five acres, though, so I have plenty of space. When I was young, we put 2 mallards and 1 muscovy into a 6 by 12 pen and they did fine.

Sorry--I forget that unless you live in a snowy area, that doesn't make sense. My apologies. The orange plastic fence in the photo is
snow fence. It's very strong and has 1" open squares. I used it to cover the pen because it's lightweight. It's used as a "stop" for snow--it slows blowing snow down and makes it drift were you want it to instead of where nature puts it. It's great for blocking wind, too.

Well Thank you! I do live in northern West Virginia so snow fence could come in handy. I am really new to all of this so I need all the advice I can get.

Thanks again!!!

Back
Top Bottom