Duck started laying unusually large (dinosaur) size eggs. Not normal for her.

Hello. During the past five days, my khaki Campbell began laying extremely large eggs. This is not common for her. She is almost a year old. Should I be worried? Thanks!

It's completely normal for a female of almost any avian species to begin laying bigger eggs in her second year of laying, basically. They are not fully grown in their first year, almost all continue to grow. I've had quite a few hens more than double their size after their second or third year, males as well. Most will upgrade egg size after their first year. :)

Best wishes.

Hello! My girl will lay a normal size egg for a few days and then massive ones for a few days. I like to call them T-Rex eggs :) I don't think it is anything to be concerned about.

Yes--quite a few of them are still double yolkers. The T-Rex eggs that is. The normal size eggs are just one yolk.

If she manages ok, it shouldn't be anything to be concerned about, but there is a heightened risk with double-yolker-layers becoming eggbound. It's genetic in basis for the majority of cases so breeding her can produce daughters also at risk. After some evaluation I ended up removing all my double-yolker laying lines. Hope yours is fine.

Best wishes.

If she manages ok, it shouldn't be anything to be concerned about, but there is a heightened risk with double-yolker-layers becoming eggbound. It's genetic in basis for the majority of cases so breeding her can produce daughters also at risk. After some evaluation I ended up removing all my double-yolker laying lines. Hope yours is fine.

Best wishes.
Thank you! She is still young--just started laying a few months ago. Hasn't missed a day of laying. So, I think for now--I am going to remain unworried :)

Back
Top Bottom