Duck starter

With this stupid ipad I can not like your reply Miss Lydia, so I will just say once again , Your the BEST!......

Cheers!
@chickens really
hugs.gif
you are too.

Miss Lydia has got some good advice there!

It might be worth asking your local hardware store. I was surprised when I found the one down my street carried Blue Seal feed. There wasn't anything that told me that was the case since it's not even shelved, you ask for it at check out and they radio to some one to bring it to your car. I was used to TSC.
Never thought of a hardware store carrying feed pretty cool @dotknott

Chick starter is fine just be sure to either use Nutritional Yeast 1 tab per cup of feed or "Plain" niacin 250mgs per 1 gallon of water daily till 8-10 weeks of age. Chick starter does not have enough niacin that water fowl need. And layer shouldn't be fed till at least 20 weeks old or first egg. Is there no other feed sources close to you? I have to travel 50 miles round trip to get my feed.

Ok thanks. The first month or so is taken care of I just need to figure out their feed between starter and layer.

Just curious because I'm new, what is it about the layer that requires it to be delayed until laying begins?
is it all the excess calcium that's added?
When time comes to feeding them layer will it cause issues for drakes?

I probably should have mentioned that I'll be free ranging them and adding a lot of veg etc on top of their feed once they get old enough. So they won't be 100% on feed. Not sure if that makes much of a difference.

I'll have to ask if they can special order some grower.

Last edited:
Ok thanks. The first month or so is taken care of I just need to figure out their feed between starter and layer.

Just curious because I'm new, what is it about the layer that requires it to be delayed until laying begins?
is it all the excess calcium that's added?
When time comes to feeding them layer will it cause issues for drakes?

I probably should have mentioned that I'll be free ranging them and adding a lot of veg etc on top of their feed once they get old enough. So they won't be 100% on feed. Not sure if that makes much of a difference.

I'll have to ask if they can special order some grower.
Yes it's the extra calcium, I have drakes and roo's so what I do is I mix my layer with broiler because in the feed I buy broiler is very close to All flock so I mix 2 scoops layer to 1 scoop broiler . I also put out Oyster shell for my layers my boys don't eat it.

Yes it's the extra calcium, I have drakes and roo's so what I do is I mix my layer with broiler because in the feed I buy broiler is very close to All flock so I mix 2 scoops layer to 1 scoop broiler . I also put out Oyster shell for my layers my boys don't eat it.
Ok thanks a ton. I'm going to call Monday and talk to them again.... even though they are primarily focused on chickens they have to have some sort of feed between starter and layer...

If you know what brands they carry, you can look on line for that brands feed formulas and ask for something specific. If you go in to this knowing exactly what you want, it might be easier to get them to order it for you.

So if they carry Purina, look into Flock Raiser. Blue Seal? Grow and Show.

Also, for adult birds, I prefer to get pellets. Crumble for the youngsters. They might offer you options, so think about that when you're asking for something specific.

Last edited:
I am a bit shocked at how hard it is in the US to get Duck feed!!
They sell Ducks, although nothing made specific to Ducks?...
I can buy Duck starter, grower and finisher!

Wow.......

Cheers!
They don't actually sell ducks. Only chicken feed/supplies and chicks occasionally.

Can you get All Flock? Purina makes one and it's for all stages so you never have to change feed.  It comes in crumble also. 

I'm a week out from receiving my ducklings and don't have local access too starter feed. Local shop has plenty of unmedicated 16% growers but no starter in stock. Will this do?

I could always order some starter online and have plenty of time for that but after reading up it seems like they will only need it for the first 2-3 weeks anyways. Can I make growers work if I wet it down or grind it a little smaller as dry? Is that even needed?

Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom