Duck stopped quacking??

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Welcome to BYC. As males of the mallard derived breeds mature, they stop quacking and develop a quieter raspy sort of voice - duck puberty.

I am aware of their voice changes. I have two adult ducks, one male. My ducks are pekins, not mallards as I already stated. His voice did not change, and was not at all the same noise the father was making. His voice is nearly back now, not a quack, but he's making noise.

It gets worse than -20°F. The parents do get their down feathers. The small heat lamp makes difference and I can tell they arent too warm. The pen is nearly 20x20ft so its not like they cant get away from the heat.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, my duck is going through what seems to be very similar problem since yesterday. He/she? is an indoor duck but it is not hot where it is. Has cage with straw, but not moldy. Has a large free area with large water area to play in. It does not have yellow around the eyes, but then is a black duck. Yesterday morning it could not quack, kind of whispers instead. It did sneeze but only once. Trying to tell me something is wrong too. Eats and drinks fine and active, but sounds pitiful when it tries to quack. Anyone have any other ideas besides temperature or hay? Thanks, as I am rather worried.

Ok, no one replied, but today, day 3 my duck is quaking up a storm. I still would like to know what that was all about in case it happens again if anyone knows though.

Great to hear he is back to quacking! I think you need to post this in our ducks section for our duck experts. We here in the new members section may or many not know enough to tell you what you might find directly from the ducks experts!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom