Duck substrate question

3littlemandarins

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2023
As I have mentioned before, I am going to be building an outdoor coop and run for my 3 mandarin ducks. We have a lot of predators that would love to eat them so we have to put the coop on concrete. Their run will be onto grass though and they can go onto this during the day. I’m just wondering what substrate to use on top of the concrete. I have heard bark chips work great and are easy to keep clean. I’m looking for something that they can’t get hurt from ingesting as they try to eat every, something cheap, something easy to keep clean and something that won’t get all gross when getting wet. Thank you!

As I have mentioned before, I am going to be building an outdoor coop and run for my 3 mandarin ducks. We have a lot of predators that would love to eat them so we have to put the coop on concrete. Their run will be onto grass though and they can go onto this during the day. I’m just wondering what substrate to use on top of the concrete. I have heard bark chips work great and are easy to keep clean. I’m looking for something that they can’t get hurt from ingesting as they try to eat every, something cheap, something easy to keep clean and something that won’t get all gross when getting wet. Thank you!
one of my old coops has a floor of paver stones so its similar to concrete. I use either straw or pine flakes over it but I clean it frequently (every day) and its covered so it doesnt get wet (from rain that is... the ducks runny poops can make wet spots though) I do not keep any buckets of water in there, or it would be a nasty mess.
a lot of people here like sand. if you use sand dont get the kids sandbox kind its too fine. get construction sand.
when your ducks get older they'll stop eating everything

I've used pine shavings over my concrete with no problems for 3 years. Straw added in winter for insulation, and is lighter to lift when it thaws. Water with boot trays or oil pans under them to help with spills.

Back
Top Bottom