Duck vent problem--can't poop

TwoDogFarm

Songster
6 Years
Jun 16, 2014
North Carolina
I've been noticing that one of my Indian Runners has been rocking back and forth sometimes, seeming like something is wrong. When I've picked her up, everything has looked normal. However, on closer inspection last night, I noticed that she has some poop build-up on her vent. Her stomach felt soft and when I pulled some of the dried poop off, poop squirted out of her. Today, I soaked her in some warm water and after a few minutes, she started pooping in the water. It seems like something is blocking her vent causing her not to be able to poop correctly.

Honestly, I can only see a tiny pin-hole as her vent hole, and it seems like her vent is almost sealed shut. I started her on some Baytril I had for another duck who had prolapse issues recently. Any ideas of what may be happening and what I can do to help her? I am 100% sure that she is not eggbound. We've dealt with that before, and know what that looks like. There's no egg in her.

I've attached a picture for reference. The tiny black spot in the middle is her opening.

Attachments

• Stella's vent.jpg
    Stella's vent.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 36

Back
Top Bottom