Duck w extremely swollen abdomen!! Need help fast!!

Sorensen

Hatching
Oct 29, 2023
I’ve a blue runner at around 6 years old. She’s always been a big waddler (not exactly normal for runners) but in more recent months I noticed her having a harder time getting around.

The past three days I noticed her falling and having a very difficult time getting around - I caught her (my ducks are comfortable around me so thankfully it didn’t put a ton of strain on her.) and have noticed she has an extremely swollen abdomen. I’ve chickens as well and I’ve dealt w things similar so I assumed it was egg binding - as I noticed two distinct lumps in her abdomen.

I got her into a warm bath just this morning with epsom salts and let her sit for an hour - I was going to check for an egg but I wanted to make sure I could actually feel one before putting her through something like that, when I realized there doesn’t seem to be any hard egg like object. The other thing I noticed is the swelling is not where an egg would normally be - it’s instead on the far side of her abdomen, more near her right leg
The swelling gives slightly and she is VERY swollen, so I thought possibly internal laying. However, her poops seem completely normal

She is eating but is extremely thin, she’s drinking and alert, following her flock and keeping up with them somehow so I have absolutely no idea what could be wrong. I’ve her in my bathroom in the dark for now until I’ve gotten more info or advice on what to do :(

Thoughts? 😭 any way I can save my lady?

Does it feel like air under the skin, or fluid or tissue? There is probably not a whole lot that you can do unless, she would have a leaking air sac. If birds get water belly (ascites,) draining fluid might give temporary relief, but whatever is causing it, would eventually kill her. When I lose birds, I always try to do a home necropsy to look for what might have been wrong.

Does it feel like air under the skin, or fluid or tissue? There is probably not a whole lot that you can do unless, she would have a leaking air sac. If birds get water belly (ascites,) draining fluid might give temporary relief, but whatever is causing it, would eventually kill her. When I lose birds, I always try to do a home necropsy to look for what might have been wrong.
It definitely feels more like tissue. Harder in some spots but it doesn’t really feel like an egg or anything.

Any idea how I can keep her comfortable? Should I let her back to her flock or keep her inside? :(

It definitely feels more like tissue. Harder in some spots but it doesn’t really feel like an egg or anything.

Any idea how I can keep her comfortable? Should I let her back to her flock or keep her inside? :(
Sorry about your girl. Hope she pulls through. We usually bring sick ones in. Put them in a tote with shavings,water and food. Make them comfortable and keep them company.

I am going to tag @Miss Lydia in case she has any suggestions. With a sick chicken, I like to keep them with the others as long as the others do not peck them. Inside a wire dog crate with food and water is a good way to separate within the coop or run.,

Any way you can post some pictures of her? I have a Runner female[7.5 years old] who has ascites and she is still going strong even though I noticed this close to 2 yrs ago. I haven't drained her either. My girl feels like a water balloon though. This could be a tumor but no way of knowing for sure what your dealing with. I think I'd keep her with the flock as long as she isn't getting picked on but make sure she is eating and drinking.
I'm sorry this is happening wish I had more info for you.

Is taking her to an avian vet an option for you? If it's acites (water belly) a vet can drain it and you can watch how they do it so you can do it next time it needs draining.
I watch a woman on youtube her channel is "not just about ducks" she had a duck with acites and drained it herself

Back
Top Bottom