Duck was eggbound, finally laid egg but...

Orca5094

Crowing
8 Years
Jul 26, 2014
Sweden
Is it "normal" for the egg to be filled with nasty, rotten-smelling liquid after it's been stuck for a couple days or so? She does not lay regularly, never has, so hard to know for sure how long it has been in her. I believe her last egg was about 5 days ago. She started acting off on Saturday, finally laid it this morning (Monday):

20190624_093400.jpg

Assuming she broke it open herself after she laid it, as she has done this in the past, but this time that nasty stuff was inside. Should I be concerned for her still? She was pretty much back to normal this morning, eating up all her favorite stuff quickly.

Little more background: Pepper is 5 years old and has been having some laying problems lately. Acting off and straining off and on for up to a day before laying her egg. Also been getting some misshapen eggs, a shell-less one, and some very bumpy with extra calcium deposits on them. This has been over the last month or so. It's coming to the end of her laying cycle as she always stops around end of June or early July. Over the weekend she apeared to become eggbound and I was going to call the vet first thing this morning if she hadn't laid it. Yesterday I did the soaking in warm bath, giving her treats with extra calcium on them, gently applying vaseline inside cloaca and around the end of the egg I could feel in there.

She had very watery poo, either just white urates or a yellowish puddle with little brown pieces in it. She hadn't eaten much Saturday or Sunday, except mealworms, some snails, and a little corn. This morning poo was a little more solid, but still pretty liquidy yellowish-brown in color.

Thanks for any insight!

Last edited:
Hi, so happy, she has now passed it. Thanks to you, helping her, with bath, plus
vaseline inside cloaca. It could have been so much worse, well done you. Bless her
bet she is glad that is over. lol You said she is coming to the end of her laying cycle.
She can have a nice long rest then. lol :celebrate

Thanks, cheekychick3! :)

Just an update: ended up bringing her into the vet as she was still acting off and not quite back to herself after a couple days. Now on antibiotics and anti-inflammatory for an infection. She's pretty much back to normal now, but having a heck of a time getting the meds into her. What a pain in the tush!

Thanks for update, So glad you had her checked over, it is better to be safe
even though it is a pain, giving them. lol But they are so worth it. Well it sounds as if she has officially retired. lol :thumbsup

Is it "normal" for the egg to be filled with nasty, rotten-smelling liquid after it's been stuck for a couple days or so? She does not lay regularly, never has, so hard to know for sure how long it has been in her. I believe her last egg was about 5 days ago. She started acting off on Saturday, finally laid it this morning (Monday):

20190624_093400-jpg.1823303

Assuming she broke it open herself after she laid it, as she has done this in the past, but this time that nasty stuff was inside. Should I be concerned for her still? She was pretty much back to normal this morning, eating up all her favorite stuff quickly.

Little more background: Pepper is 5 years old and has been having some laying problems lately. Acting off and straining off and on for up to a day before laying her egg. Also been getting some misshapen eggs, a shell-less one, and some very bumpy with extra calcium deposits on them. This has been over the last month or so. It's coming to the end of her laying cycle as she always stops around end of June or early July. Over the weekend she apeared to become eggbound and I was going to call the vet first thing this morning if she hadn't laid it. Yesterday I did the soaking in warm bath, giving her treats with extra calcium on them, gently applying vaseline inside cloaca and around the end of the egg I could feel in there.

She had very watery poo, either just white urates or a yellowish puddle with little brown pieces in it. She hadn't eaten much Saturday or Sunday, except mealworms, some snails, and a little corn. This morning poo was a little more solid, but still pretty liquidy yellowish-brown in color.

Thanks for any insight!
I've only seen that once before! Thanks for sharing and glad to hear she is feeling better. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom