Duck wing amputation - signs of infection?

Oh yeah, I meant to say, their normal food is actually mazuri floating in water. And then after awhile the mazuri soaks up all the water (if i put a lot of mazuri), so then it's just mushy food.

All my ducks perfer food floating in water, to the point that they refuse to eat much dry food. Although they always have a bowl of dry mazuri available too.

It started out as just floating their food as a "treat" once or twice a day but they're obsessed lol. Makes it a bit more difficult for me since the water bowls have to be changed every 3 hours (to keep it fresh/prevent bacteria growth) but oh well... I'm a slave to them lol.

But tonight when I went to refresh their bowl, she actually stuck her head in the food bucket and started eating! They usually like to try to eat out of the little buckets that I bring out to refill their bowls, but she hasnt done that in almost 2 weeks!

And nope, her friends don't bother her. I was worried they would at least pick at the stitches since they've always picked at my scabs and moles, but they only attempted that immediately after bringing her home. They're deeply bonded and she's kind of the dominant one out of this trio, so that probably helps.

That is good news. I was going to add after the antibiotics and pain meds her tummy may need some probiotics to get it going well again the antibiotics kill off good and bad bacteria. Thats great she has such a close bond with her mates. They really do thrive on close relationships. As you know.

Last edited:
Oh I didn't even think of that with probiotics! Might actually do some good to my other duck with a yeast infection too. I've used multiple kinds in the past, but the only one I remember is Savachick. Would brand do you use?

She's getting better and better at eating - when I gave them their breakfast she started eating from the dry food bowl, then the floating food bowl. And tonight, she stuck her head in the food bucket again and I actually saw her do a normal poop!

It's only once they stop eating well that you truly appreciate their normal eating habits!

So just an update here in case it's helpful for anyone who goes through the same thing later on:

She wasn't able to have the sutures removed 2 weeks after surgery as it wasn't healed enough, but she had them removed 3 weeks after and the vet had to remove a big scab in the process of that, so she had to go back on antibiotics. Now 9 days later and she's currently still healing from where the scab was removed but its looking good.

She's covered in feathers everywhere else now, and eating and acting normally. Very active, curious and playful again. She was mostly back to her usual self about 2.5 to 3 weeks after surgery, but now she's fully back to normal and it's good to see :)

It goes to show, ducks recover very well even after major surgery!

That is great news she is recovering and back to herself. Sad she had to have the scab removed but still sounds like all is good. Yes, they are amazing critters.

Back
Top Bottom