raccoon attack on my buff duck-feathers ripped off and punture wound on neck

ducks_chickens

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2024
ive had a raccoon attack one of my ducks while they were in their pool. i heard flopping in my backyard and ran out to find my female duck being dragged through my yard by a large raccoon i chased it and then it ran up a tree and dropped my duck. it was bleeding from the back of her neck, one deep puncture wound. the main wound was feathers that were ripped from the skin. it has a fishy smell to it, which i can assume is not good. she has survived for two night now shes on her third. ive givin her one bath to clean her off and after the bath i did a quick saline rinse only on her wounds and dried her off. after i applied banixx an anti infection ect spray and even after that she still has a bad smell on her neck. i only have two ducks so they are both separated and i let them see each other yesterday because the non injured duck thought she was dead. i would just like to know if what im doing is right and if itll keep her alive. ill take a picture of her wound and id like feedback on what to do

seperate concern:
im worried the injured duck is egg bound, she hasnt laid an egg for 3 days and has been acting lethargic i gave her a warm soak in water for around 15 min so i hope that helps. im not sure if she is egg bound or if she just hasnt had the right diet to produce eggs. i felt around down there and i couldnt feel anything but she seemed to be uncomfortable when i touched a certain spot but i couldnt feel an egg. if anyone has any tips to figure out whats wrong feel free to reply!

⚠️warning fairly graphic⚠️

Attachments

• E9976B4F-C796-44EC-8750-D22FE884F9AF.jpeg
    E9976B4F-C796-44EC-8750-D22FE884F9AF.jpeg
    453.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 3826E852-EC2F-4846-A1D1-7E646D088B5F.jpeg
    3826E852-EC2F-4846-A1D1-7E646D088B5F.jpeg
    381.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 5D805C68-9A3D-4DCD-A767-FBB9B333BFCD.jpeg
    5D805C68-9A3D-4DCD-A767-FBB9B333BFCD.jpeg
    496.8 KB · Views: 13
you can use an antibiotic ointment on the wounds like neosporin (but only the kind without the pain relief) keep the wounds moist as they start to heal up and clip away any feathers in the area that may get caught in the wound as it heals. Its nice to let the ducks see each other but keep her inside so the wounds dont get mud or dirt in them .
Is she drinking and eating now? You can add vitamins and electrolutes to her water too.
@Miss Lydia

do you have any antibiotics in hand? i think it would be smart to start her on one . coon bites full of deadly bacteria and the smell you speak of is a warning sign .
@casportpony will know what is a good antibiotic to give her.

It's amazing what out ducks can survive so Hopefully with what you are doing and the great advice already given will get her back to health.

Like @Jenbirdee said it is a good idea to clip or pluck the feathers away from the wound and I would rinse with saline more than once do it a couple times a day maybe morning and evening then apply the neo or triple antibiotic or whatever you have to keep the wound safe from bacteria and moist.
Once she is out of shock you might want to offer her her feed like a warm soup since it might hurt her to eat till her neck wound starts healing.

I am so sorry this happened, Just keep up with what you are doing and hopefully she'll pull through and be back with her best friend soon. @casportpony will offer advice on antibiotics.
That raccoon will be back so keep your other duck safe or bring her inside with the one injured.
And please keep us updated on how she is doing.

Last edited:
you can use an antibiotic ointment on the wounds like neosporin (but only the kind without the pain relief) keep the wounds moist as they start to heal up and clip away any feathers in the area that may get caught in the wound as it heals. Its nice to let the ducks see each other but keep her inside so the wounds dont get mud or dirt in them .
Is she drinking and eating now? You can add vitamins and electrolutes to her water too.
@Miss Lydia
thank you i did use neosporin one time before i got the banixx, should i use neosporin with banixx or just one or the other. i have been using baby pedialyte mixed with some water. thank you for the advice.

what about an antibiotic do you have any amoxicillan? or other? and is she eating any food?
i dont have any antibiotics i got her to eat some treats out of my hand and i believe she did eat some food out of her bowl not a lot but she is drinking unflavored pedialyte. where or how would i find amoxicillin or any other antibiotics?

It's amazing what out ducks can survive so Hopefully with what you are doing and the great advice already given will get her back to health.

Like @Jenbirdee said it is a good idea to clip or pluck the feathers away from the wound and I would rinse with saline more than once do it a couple times a day maybe morning and evening then apply the neo or triple antibiotic or whatever you have to keep the wound safe from bacteria and moist.
Once she is out of shock you might want to offer her her feed like a warm soup since it might hurt her to eat till her neck wound starts healing.

I am so sorry this happened, Just keep up with what you are doing and hopefully she'll pull through and be back with her best friend soon. @casportpony will offer advice on antibiotics.
That raccoon will be back so keep your other duck safe or bring her inside with the one injured.
And please keep us updated on how she is doing.
alright thank you we have a trap set for the raccoon and the other birds should be safe from it plus the birds are only out a little during the day so hopefully the raccoon only comes at night or early morning.

Back
Top Bottom