Duck with leg problem

Quacking ducks

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 31, 2019
Hi, I have a 5 1/2 year-old blue, Swedish female duck That is having some trouble walking, she’s waddling pretty bad and looking at her leg. She has a big bump at her knee area. any idea what’s wrong with her leg? Thank you.
638DFF3D-FE7A-402E-BB3C-50E48BBEC608.jpeg
49BEC340-5C87-4337-97CC-8097205DA083.jpeg

possible an antibiotic will help. when i had 2 ducks who each had a swollen joint and they limped and it was hot , i took them to my vet and he gave antibiotics that took care of it. i don’t remember what kind of dosage the antibiotic was though.
hopefully someone who knows what kind of antibiotic might help will come in soon.
@casportpony
@Lacy Duckwing

by the way your duck is so beautiful!

possible an antibiotic will help. when i had 2 ducks who each had a swollen joint and they limped and it was hot , i took them to my vet and he gave antibiotics that took care of it. i don’t remember what kind of dosage the antibiotic was though.
hopefully someone who knows what kind of antibiotic might help will come in soon.
@casportpony
@Lacy Duckwing

Unfortunately, I don’t know what type of antibiotic to use either.

On a side note, can the duck bend its leg on its own? It looks like it might be a minor sprain. I suggest putting her on a stable, flat surface to minimize possible stumbling blocks. (Keeping her in a kennel with the tray or in a clean coop with a thin layer of shavings would be good.) If you could keep her off that leg, that would be great, though it could cause her extra stress or "air-swimming" that'll cause her to further injure her joint. I'd give her two to six weeks on heal time. If she doesn't start showing improvement by the two week mark, it could be more serious, such as inflammation.

@casportpony
@Lacy Duckwing

Thank you. She is pretty, she used to only have 1 little white patch on her chest but now she is mostly white. I guess she is just getting old

Unfortunately, I don’t know what type of antibiotic to use either.

On a side note, can the duck bend its leg on its own? It looks like it might be a minor sprain. I suggest putting her on a stable, flat surface to minimize possible stumbling blocks. (Keeping her in a kennel with the tray or in a clean coop with a thin layer of shavings would be good.) If you could keep her off that leg, that would be great, though it could cause her extra stress or "air-swimming" that'll cause her to further injure her joint. I'd give her two to six weeks on heal time. If she doesn't start showing improvement by the two week mark, it could be more serious, such as inflammation.
Yes, she can bend her leg on her own but she sits down a lot when they are out hunting, she has been limping/waddling a lot the last couple weeks but I haven’t had any time to check her out. I do have a couple built in kennels in my duck house, I can put her in one. How can I keep her from making a mess of the duck house with her water? Could it be a niacin deficiency? Or her leg be out of place?

Back
Top Bottom