Duck with limp leg

Cole Campbell

Chirping
Aug 22, 2019
Found my 4 month old duck this morning in the coop just laying there. I thought that was weird as everyone else was up and walking around, ready to be let out for the day. We have a mixed coop with ducks and chickens. I went over and the poor thing seems to be lame in it’s left leg. Most disconcerting to me is the fact that I can rotate the leg in unnatural ways, and it doesn’t seem to bother her in the slightest. She seems to be in no pain, there is no swelling that I can see. No wounds. I am concerned that a hen flew down from the roosts and knocked into her and dislocated it, but I am not sure. I can’t find a vet that takes ducks, and now they are all closed due to it being the weekend. Anybody know anything or had a similar experience? This just happened so I don’t know anything about if she is pooping, eating, etc.

I’m talking like, I could lift it and tuck it behind her tail, but from the top. Super limp. Feels like it’s not even real

Attachments

• 13E03C4F-A3C9-4EF2-96E8-8DF02F471486.jpeg
    13E03C4F-A3C9-4EF2-96E8-8DF02F471486.jpeg
    697.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 26401E65-AE6F-480E-8E0D-5F3A876DAA97.jpeg
    26401E65-AE6F-480E-8E0D-5F3A876DAA97.jpeg
    680.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 2B32F516-28BD-41E1-B26B-1ABC9D8A4A32.jpeg
    2B32F516-28BD-41E1-B26B-1ABC9D8A4A32.jpeg
    498.1 KB · Views: 12
Well, I don’t know anything about a dislocated leg, but..she might be in discomfort and not show it..or it may be something totally different. When it’s lower body, I usually start with Epsom salts in a bucket to relieve any swelling that might not even see, any pain, etc. Then, I would definitely check her all over while she’s clean to see if there is any puncture wound. Try to feed her..meal worms, peas? If you really feel it’s a dislocated leg then I would go with my gut and wrap it against her body in it’s normal position, as if she were laying down. Wrap it tight...like when, if you need to splint something so she doesn’t get out and make it worse. If you have vet wrap that’s best. Otherwise use some kind of bandage. Wrap it criss-cross around har body, like a figure 8 to get it secure so it won’t slip off. Then, I would get her some Vit B complex at TS..it’s in the cattle section, it’s says to give as a shot, but not with ducks.. give 1 mm over a treat..meal worms..or in water, or in a tomato piece. Let her rest in a calm area. Make sure she is eating...something at least a bit, same with a drink. Good luck..keep us posted

Well, I don’t know anything about a dislocated leg, but..she might be in discomfort and not show it..or it may be something totally different. When it’s lower body, I usually start with Epsom salts in a bucket to relieve any swelling that might not even see, any pain, etc. Then, I would definitely check her all over while she’s clean to see if there is any puncture wound. Try to feed her..meal worms, peas? If you really feel it’s a dislocated leg then I would go with my gut and wrap it against her body in it’s normal position, as if she were laying down. Wrap it tight...like when, if you need to splint something so she doesn’t get out and make it worse. If you have vet wrap that’s best. Otherwise use some kind of bandage. Wrap it criss-cross around har body, like a figure 8 to get it secure so it won’t slip off. Then, I would get her some Vit B complex at TS..it’s in the cattle section, it’s says to give as a shot, but not with ducks.. give 1 mm over a treat..meal worms..or in water, or in a tomato piece. Let her rest in a calm area. Make sure she is eating...something at least a bit, same with a drink. Good luck..keep us posted
Thank you for the reply. I have her in an epsom salt bath now. I picked up some liquid B Complex earlier, I was planning on giving it to her after her bath. I’ll definitely try wrapping it up, thanks. Something I just noticed as I watch her bathe is that her cloaca seems to be swollen. She has pooped so she’s not bound up but I’m worried now that maybe one of the drakes was too rough with her?

Update: She is pretty much refusing to eat or drink now. No poop. I’m very worried about her. I splinted her leg, she doesn’t show any discomfort and seems ok, just laying there. I can’t get her to take any vitamin B complex.

Back
Top Bottom