Duck with problems in flock/pecking order issues??

CHICKENLOVE101

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 21, 2012
Hello all,
I went back to take care of my flock as usual, and they were all fine.
Although, later on in the afternoon I noticed some commotion from my coop's run area. When I investigated, my duck was on it's back and her legs were flailing about. After I stood her up, she fell down.
One of my hens (a red cross) was sort of hovering around her, and pecking the back of the duck's neck when attempting to move. I should mention she wasn't moving very efficiently on her own.
So I moved the duck to a separate and smaller coop that I usually use for my new chicks in Springtime. She seemed to be scared, even though she'd been in there before but that wasn't the issue. She was also jutting her neck at strange angles as I was transporting her. The duck started to almost seem like she was trying to lay an egg (and she hasn't done so in a while, but is only 1-2 years old). Her body was shivering and she seemed really scared.
I thought going for the source might be a better option, so I switched the aggressive hen and duck's places. This leaves me in my current situation; an aggressive hen that I separated, and an- injured?- duck with the flock.
For extra details that might help, the duck hasn't had any sort of issues like in the past. We've raised her with this flock and they've never had any behavioral issues in the past. Also, she's a standard, white duck we got from Tractor Supply- I can't quite spell the breed name correctly but it's similar to pecking. The duck also seems to have one eye that looks slightly red, and she seems really tired.
Any help/tips are appreciated!

The duck is a pekin. It almost sounds as if she may have had a seizure, and the hen pecking at her may have been a reaction to her abnormal behavior. If she were mine, I would move the duck to a secure, darkened, quiet place and hope that she returns to normal. Think cardboard box covered with a towel. Good luck.

I agree with sourland sometimes when an animal is acting odd the others will take advantage and pick on it. Not a good idea to put your duck in the situation while she is this way, be sure to put water and feed in with her when she has calmed down. She may have gotten pecked in her eye the reason it's red. once she is back to normal you can get a better look at it and maybe use some warm water and wash it out in case some dust or something may have gotten into it while she was on her back. I hope she is better soon.

Another possibility is that she may have suffered a blow to her head. This too would cause disorientation, fearfulness, instability etc. Initial handling would remain the same.

Back
Top Bottom