Duck with swollen foot

Pics

Agallwithboys

Hatching
Apr 20, 2024
I have a female Pekin duck that has had a swollen foot for several weeks. Does anyone know if this is just a sprang or fracture vs bumble foot? I did have 4 drakes with her that were really starting to be a problem (they have been rehomed). I don’t see a black scab so that’s why I was thinking it’s not bumble foot. It appears to be swollen in two spots in the middle. The first photo is from a couple weeks ago and the second yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_7547.jpeg
    IMG_7547.jpeg
    430 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_5832.jpeg
    IMG_5832.jpeg
    319.6 KB · Views: 8
I have a female Pekin duck that has had a swollen foot for several weeks. Does anyone know if this is just a sprang or fracture vs bumble foot? I did have 4 drakes with her that were really starting to be a problem (they have been rehomed). I don’t see a black scab so that’s why I was thinking it’s not bumble foot. It appears to be swollen in two spots in the middle. The first photo is from a couple weeks ago and the second yesterday.
can you take a picture of the underside too?
does it feel warm/hot ?
I have 2 welsh harlequins with what looked very similar big swollen toe in the middle of the foot and they were limping and at that time I was able to take them to an avian vet And he wanted to do surgery he said the infection was inside the joint because it was not Bumblefoot but when I told him I couldn’t afford the surgery, he said antibiotics might work and he prescribed antibiotics for both of them and it did work and now it’s seven years later and they never had another problem like that. so perhaps antibiotics would take care of your ducks issue. I’m just not sure which antibiotic maybe @casportpony can suggest one and the dosage.
@Miss Lydia
for now I would start giving her warm Epsom salt water foot soaks (try not to let her drink any. It will cause diarrhea )and give her access to swimming pool so she can keep her weight off of it, but yeah, please get a picture of the bottom of her foot too first.

Looks like I’m having similar problem with one of my Pekin ducks. Just noticed yesterday she was limping and finally got to take pictures of it. I haven’t really had any major problems with my ducks and I’ve have them for almost 3 years.
Any advice greatly appreciated here as well.

Attachments

• IMG_4375.jpeg
    IMG_4375.jpeg
    649.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4371.jpeg
    IMG_4371.jpeg
    382.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4372.jpeg
    IMG_4372.jpeg
    446.6 KB · Views: 5
can you take a picture of the underside too?
does it feel warm/hot ?
I have 2 welsh harlequins with what looked very similar big swollen toe in the middle of the foot and they were limping and at that time I was able to take them to an avian vet And he wanted to do surgery he said the infection was inside the joint because it was not Bumblefoot but when I told him I couldn’t afford the surgery, he said antibiotics might work and he prescribed antibiotics for both of them and it did work and now it’s seven years later and they never had another problem like that. so perhaps antibiotics would take care of your ducks issue. I’m just not sure which antibiotic maybe @casportpony can suggest one and the dosage.
@Miss Lydia
for now I would start giving her warm Epsom salt water foot soaks (try not to let her drink any. It will cause diarrhea )and give her access to swimming pool so she can keep her weight off of it, but yeah, please get a picture of the bottom of her foot too first.
What kind of antibiotic are we talking about? Is it something over counter like from tractor supply? I may have something already on hand. 🤞

What kind of antibiotic are we talking about? Is it something over counter like from tractor supply? I may have something already on hand. 🤞
I don’t remember the name of the antibiotic. My vet gave my ducks. It was eight years ago however this is why I tagged Miss Lydia and Casportpony they will likely know what kind of anabiotic would be good for that. I also have antibiotics on hand. I stocked up before the law changed making it harder to get them, but I never know which one would work best for which ailment so I always ask too. Hopefully somebody will see their tag and reply.

I don’t remember the name of the antibiotic. My vet gave my ducks. It was eight years ago however this is why I tagged Miss Lydia and Casportpony they will likely know what kind of anabiotic would be good for that. I also have antibiotics on hand. I stocked up before the law changed making it harder to get them, but I never know which one would work best for which ailment so I always ask too. Hopefully somebody will see their tag and reply.
Ok I’ll keep a look out. Thanks! I knew the law changed recently making it harder to get meds for our birds now.🥲I tried to stock up but I was too late.

Back
Top Bottom