Duck with swollen foot

i think @Miss Lydia has a link for a pet store website that you can get Baytril from. It’s like a bird store or something. I will see if I can find the dosage information. I recently recently treated one of my ducks with it for salpingitis.
I also think amoxicillin might be good as well, but I’m really not an ant antibiotics expert. That’s why I tried to tag @casportpony I was hoping she would see this
I did get the link. I’m ordering some. Will try the Epsom poultice as well. I’m also soaking her foot for about 5 minutes at a time.
Thank you for helping!

This what it says on box so I don’t think this will work…
VetRx for Poultry is a natural remedy available to the backyard chicken keeper. Aids in treatment of colds, respiratory illness, scaly legs and eye worms.
I did inspect for thorns by feeling but couldn’t do by myself. Would need to get another pair of hands to see if there’s a splinter or cut. Will try to get help tonight to see.
I took another picture of bottom of her foot and felt around for a splinter or thorn. I thought I felt something but it was just her skin or top layer peeling or flaking off, like it was dry. The swollen part is sort of semi hard. Not too hard and not too soft if that makes any sense. Foot seems dry so really hard to see any cuts. Maybe there was one and it’s healing over and there’s an infection. Will try again soaking in Epsom in the morning. If you have any more thoughts from this please let me know. I value y’all’s opinion.
Gosh the picture is not a good one. Will try again tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_4389.jpeg
    IMG_4389.jpeg
    330.5 KB · Views: 2
Looks like the infection is localized which is good means it hasn't spread which it can and that makes it harder to treat. Try and get a better picture I can't see any type of scab. But looks like there may have been a small hole right in the middle of the swelling I wish I could circle but I am not very good with computer skills. Also yes use the Epsom salt poultice. I will say this about drawing slaves I had a splinter in that I couldn't get out so I used some Prid put on a bandaid and last night the splinter was right up at the top of the skin so these drawing salves do work Just not sure how well they would work when there isn't an opening in the skin. Like where the splinter went in. That's probably where an Epsom salt poultice may work better.

Looks like the infection is localized which is good means it hasn't spread which it can and that makes it harder to treat. Try and get a better picture I can't see any type of scab. But looks like there may have been a small hole right in the middle of the swelling I wish I could circle but I am not very good with computer skills. Also yes use the Epsom salt poultice. I will say this about drawing slaves I had a splinter in that I couldn't get out so I used some Prid put on a bandaid and last night the splinter was right up at the top of the skin so these drawing salves do work Just not sure how well they would work when there isn't an opening in the skin. Like where the splinter went in. That's probably where an Epsom salt poultice may work better.
Ok yes-will try to get better picture. It’s hard to get her foot clean so will work on that. The little white patches are where the top layer of scabby like skin flaked off. So sorry-hard for me to explain.
Going to do the poultice. Going to be challenging putting wrap on a webbed foot.

Update!
I pried out a tiny end of a thorn where I finally could see a tiny black dot! Got that out and felt over her foot good for anything else. Maybe that was the culprit. Soaked it again so hopefully it will start to heal. Will do poultice if y’all think I should still do. Getting baytril. Will see how she’s walking later on and if the swollen joint has gone down any.

Last edited:
Ok. No worries I’m not good with computers either. See my update!

Update!
I pried out a tiny end of a thorn where I finally could see a tiny black dot! Got that out and felt over her foot good for anything else. Maybe that was the culprit. Soaked it again so hopefully it will start to heal. Will do poultice if y’all think I should still do. Getting baytril. Will see how she’s walking later on and if the swollen joint has gone down any.
Thats great. If you have the poultice I'd use it it will hopefully draw out any infection.

Back
Top Bottom