Duck with swollen foot

I read through the link you posted and it was very helpful. My question is-the web would basically fold in as I wrap around the foot unless I make like a sole out of cardboard to place foot on like you mentioned. I can’t imagine them being able to walk on that foot like the vet did in the first picture of the thread. Is that ok for the foot to be “squished” like that in the vet wrap?

One more question-I read on the baytril link that it’s put in the water. Can I give it directly to the bird by mouth(orally) like we can with the vita jec b?

Last edited:
Baytril supposedly tastes horrible I have always given it by mouth. That way you know he is getting the full dose.
I would make him a shoe if you have an empty butter bowl or Cool Whip container cut it in the shape of his foot and wrap it so no sharp edges are showing then lay his foot on it and use vet wrap to wrap it going up past the ankle so he can't get it off so easily. Card board will work too just won't be as waterproof but you don't want him in water anyway while treating the foot. I use medical tape over the vet wrap just to make sure mine can't get the boot off. It's amazing what they can do. in case you need it
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Baytril supposedly tastes horrible I have always given it by mouth. That way you know he is getting the full dose.
I would make him a shoe if you have an empty butter bowl or Cool Whip container cut it in the shape of his foot and wrap it so no sharp edges are showing then lay his foot on it and use vet wrap to wrap it going up past the ankle so he can't get it off so easily. Card board will work too just won't be as waterproof but you don't want him in water anyway while treating the foot. I use medical tape over the vet wrap just to make sure mine can't get the boot off. It's amazing what they can do. in case you need it
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
Ok sounds good. Thank you.

Well I made like a boot and loaded the gauze with the poultice and wrapped her foot. It stayed on through the night until I let them out to graze this morning and somehow it came off. Will wrap again when put back in coop tonight. She’s still limping a little but it’s not stopping her from anything. Just don’t like the abnormality of that toe or joint on that foot. I keep checking to make sure there’s nothing else there.

Attachments

• IMG_4408.jpeg
    IMG_4408.jpeg
    694.7 KB · Views: 4
Keeping it on over night is better than not at all, they also make boots our of neoprene for poultry even when I use one of them I still have to vet wrap where they velcro attaches. One of mine lost her boot out on their property and I never did find it.

Keeping it on over night is better than not at all, they also make boots our of neoprene for poultry even when I use one of them I still have to vet wrap where they velcro attaches. One of mine lost her boot out on their property and I never did find it.
Not sure if poultice is going to do anything. I wrapped it again with poultice on bottom of foot.
Do you think the baytril will help? Picture is before I wrapped it this evening. Just photos the top. The bottom appeared about the same.

Attachments

• IMG_4414.jpeg
    IMG_4414.jpeg
    568.1 KB · Views: 4
Not sure if poultice is going to do anything. I wrapped it again with poultice on bottom of foot.
Do you think the baytril will help? Picture is before I wrapped it this evening. Just photos the top. The bottom appeared about the same.
Are you sure there isn't a broken bone? If an infection the Baytril should help. What does the bottom look like any change?

Back
Top Bottom