Duckling diet advise!

Also can they be free ranged during the day and locked up at night with older duck at 6 weeks old?

hmm I'm not too sure about the wheat..when I was using that calculator, I mixed the starter feed with a maintenance fees my older duck eats so I've never used oats or wheat or any grain to cut the protein...I know I've seen on here that people cut the starter feed with oats so I'm assuming ducklings can eat oats but again, not 100% sure :/ sorry..if they're free ranging they probably will eat little pebbles and dirt that will act as grit but if it makes you feel better to offer some grit, too, I don't think it would hurt. Just make sure it's not crushed oyster shell grit because they don't need the extra calcium from that when they're so young.

As far as bunking them up with the older ducks at night, I'm assuming that would be okay as long as they all seem to get along during the day and there isn't any bullying and the duck house has some ample space so they don't feel too crowded. I'm gonna tag a couple people who always give great advice here on BYC so hopefully they can give you some more definitive answers:
@Miss Lydia
@casportpony
@Amiga

Thank you :) all the ducks are a couple of months old 4 I think so they accept any newcomers almost straight away and my little call ducks my muscoveys and a tiny bantam hen are in the one house and all get along great! The house is huge there's plenty of room :D thanks so much you've been a great help!

glad to help! I'm definitely no expert but I'm an obsessive researcher on all things duck haha so I'm glad I could offer up some info :)

Thank you :) I'm the same with sheep I could sit all day researching diffrent breeds nutrition etc!

1. Never feed ducks without water. Water helps get food down and clean beak vents. ...
  2. I recommend chick starter with 20% protein for the first 10 weeks, switching to a 15% grower weeks 10-18, and a 16% layer after 18 weeks.
  3. Ducklings have no teeth but appreciate finely chopped fruits, vegetables or greens.

1. Never feed ducks without water. Water helps get food down and clean beak vents. ...
  2. I recommend chick starter with 20% protein for the first 10 weeks, switching to a 15% grower weeks 10-18, and a 16% layer after 18 weeks.
  3. Ducklings have no teeth but appreciate finely chopped fruits, vegetables or greens.
They have constant water :D is that high a protein feed not bad for so long? Is there not a risk of angel wing?

I've read a lot of different info on the protein and angel wing correlation and a lot of people say it has more to do with genetics and the amount of exercise/free range time the ducklings are getting and not just the protein content of their feed. Everyone kind of has their own way they like to do things. I have a book called Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks & it's a really popular, well known book with a ton of great info in it & according to the author, you can have the ducklings stay on a higher protein feed long term but unless you're trying to grow them quickly so they can be butchered, it's not necessary because higher protein will push them to grow bigger, faster which can put them at higher risk for issues - both externally (angel wing) and internally with their organs. I know a lot of people on here keep their ducklings on 20% ish protein for longer than 3-4 weeks with no issues but it's really up to you to do whatever you think is best.

Back
Top Bottom