Duckling foot size and other silly questions from a confused teacher

Mimisims

Hatching
Sep 27, 2023
I have not hatched ducklings before and our classroom eggs are on day 24. Due to city bylaws sadly they will be returning to their farm in 2-4 weeks unless I can convince them they are just really funny looking Guinea pigs šŸ˜‰.

We started with 24 eggs on the farmerā€™s recommendation because of the time of year and lowered viability. They have offered to take back some ducklings right away if a lot hatchout and the noise is too distracting. I will empty out my office for the brooder so the stress of a grade 1/2 classroom should be minimized. We potentially still have 12 eggs that are viable when I candled last night. They are a mix of Cayugas, Welsh Harlequins, Khaki Campbells, and Pekins.

First ā€¦ what size are newly hatched duckling feet?. I am making the water station and I need to make sure the wire grid on the cookie cooling rackj (1/2ā€ squares) is small enough they wonā€™t hurt their tootsies. I might just leave it off the first bit with just the tray and absorbent dish pad until they reach optimal foot size.

Bedding- Pine shavings are tricky to find around here that arenā€™t basically sawdust. There are several ā€œsoft woodā€ shavings but it does not specify only pine which worries me. I do have access to chopped straw bedding. https://www.simplystraw.com/

Food:
I realize that most people give unmedicated chick starter + niacin. Our local feed also has Country Junction Goose and Duck Starter. It says it is all that is required but it also looks like there is no Niacin in it. https://countryjunctionfeeds.com/Product-Poultry-21-Percent-Duck-and-Goose-Starter
How much niacin is enough/too much

Feeder: what is the best food set up to keep the waste down? We have purchased the incubator for our school so that we can do this annually so I donā€™t mind making or purchasing something that will last.

Brooder: we are doing a slot together plywood 3ā€™x6ā€™ with tarp bottom.
The rationale being we can easily break it down and store the brooder for next year and the waterproof tarp will allow us to use heating pads under which is a bit safer than heat lamps around 6 & 7 year olds. How high do the walls need to be if used for under 4 weeks old? How many ducklings do you think we could comfortably raise for the month in 18 square feet? I see a wide range of numbers. I realize it is VERY unlikely all 12 will hatch but just in case is 12 chaos or an ok amount?

Thank you all in advance for your wisdom and responses

Soon

Welcome to BYC!
First ā€¦ what size are newly hatched duckling feet?. I am making the water station and I need to make sure the wire grid on the cookie cooling rackj (1/2ā€ squares) is small enough they wonā€™t hurt their tootsies. I might just leave it off the first bit with just the tray and absorbent dish pad until they reach optimal foot size.
I think I would use 1/4".
Bedding- Pine shavings are tricky to find around here that arenā€™t basically sawdust. There are several ā€œsoft woodā€ shavings but it does not specify only pine which worries me. I do have access to chopped straw bedding. https://www.simplystraw.com/
If the shavings are labeled for horses, they should be fine, but the straw could work too, though it's been my experience that it's not as absorbent as shavings.
Food:
I realize that most people give unmedicated chick starter + niacin. Our local feed also has Country Junction Goose and Duck Starter. It says it is all that is required but it also looks like there is no Niacin in it. https://countryjunctionfeeds.com/Product-Poultry-21-Percent-Duck-and-Goose-Starter
How much niacin is enough/too much
Many feeds don't list niacin. Since it's labeled for starting ducklings & geese, it has enough niacin in it.

Welcome to BYC!

I think I would use 1/4".

If the shavings are labeled for horses, they should be fine, but the straw could work too, though it's been my experience that it's not as absorbent as shavings.

Many feeds don't list niacin. Since it's labeled for starting ducklings & geese, it has enough niacin in it.
Thanks I wouldnā€™t have known that about niacin. You would think they would list it!

Thanks I wouldnā€™t have known that about niacin. You would think they would list it!
In the US, our bags have the guaranteed analysis & the ingredients on the label or the bag. This is what I feed mine:
1695835889006.png

Back
Top Bottom