Duckling in air cell - but air cell is on pointy end!

CHinsz

Chirping
Mar 16, 2022
Hi there :) me again….. I candled my 12 Muscovy eggs this morn. All are alive and well. 5 are in the air cell or just pushing on the perimeter.

My question is - I’ve had one in the air cell for over a day now. But the air cell is at the pointy end NOT the blunt end. ?? I’ve never seen this. I really don’t wish to help …. Will this one make it? It’s moving and grooving great this morn :)

Hi there :) me again….. I candled my 12 Muscovy eggs this morn. All are alive and well. 5 are in the air cell or just pushing on the perimeter.

My question is - I’ve had one in the air cell for over a day now. But the air cell is at the pointy end NOT the blunt end. ?? I’ve never seen this. I really don’t wish to help …. Will this one make it? It’s moving and grooving great this morn :)
Often, there is not a problem with chicks/ducklings hatching at the pointed end. Sometimes the baby may have a problem pushing out of the eggs because of the egg shape. When the duckling zips, external pips all the way around the circumference of the egg, and is unable to push free, simply break the shell around the zip edges until the opening is big enough for the duckling to make its escape. There are no concerns with assisting in this way as the duckling is ready to be out of the shell.

Thank you for your reply! I candled him this morn (been a couple days since I saw him in the air cell.). He was still moving. But slower. We gave him an air hole. We shall see …

Well that duckling didn’t make it, despite the air hole. But! I woke this morning to my first hatched duckling 💗

Attachments

• 4BA6C780-3885-4A87-B596-8BA7E9B06147.jpeg
    4BA6C780-3885-4A87-B596-8BA7E9B06147.jpeg
    390.1 KB · Views: 6
Well that duckling didn’t make it, despite the air hole. But! I woke this morning to my first hatched duckling 💗
It surprises me the duckling at the wrong end didn't make it out; something else must have been wrong too. The air hole should have kept the duckling supplied with O2. With a bit of help it should have been fine. Such is the case as often if there's one thing wrong, then there may be something else... Good luck and best wishes for the rest of the eggs and duckling.

Back
Top Bottom