Duckling question

Ste

Songster
12 Years
Nov 13, 2007
Tracyton, Kitsap, WA
We got one duckling at the same time we got our chicks. We were told that they can live their whole life without swimming in water however a little while ago my daughter notice that one side of the ducklings sinuses was plugged and she was breathing funny. I put her in the bathtub with a few inches of water. At first she freaked out, then she stood there and looked at us like we were crazy, then she tried to jump out, then she went to scratch something on her chest and her nose hit the water - you would have thought she was in heaven
smile.png
She splashed and stuck her head in the water and snorted and just had a grand time and got her sinuses all cleaned out. Now my concern is - How do I keep this from happening again?

Some ducks, Like the ones I have,which are Musovys.....do not need water to swim in, BUT, all ducks need access to water deep enough for them to immerse their whole head just about.because they flush the nostrils....
An idea for you is to just add a large bowl lower sided,or a kiddie pool alot of people use...thats what I use.... and the Muscovy and Roeun and Runners I have all swim away !

I agree with what okiechick said....all ducks need water deep enough to keep their nostrils clear. What kind is your duck? Any other breed except muscovies benefit greatly from having swimming water. Helps keep their feathers is good condition which they need to keep warm. I can't imagine having ducks without letting them have swimming water.

Best thing we have done in the pasts was bury a five gallon bucket all the way to the top,( but you have to remember that this buket will just be a holder for another bucket and have to drill holes in it), the other bucket you can fill up and slide it into the one buried in the ground this gives you about 2" sticking out of the ground. Most of the ducks we have I've done this for and never had problems

Ducks do need enough water to be able to submerge their heads, beaks and nostrils. They need to keep their nostrils clean.

Our two Pekin ducks have a childs plastic sandpit which we fill with water. They just love it. We empty it once a week or so . Sometimes we chuck some duck food in and they just love sifting around in the water for the food.

A cat litter pan works great while they're small....it will give you time to get something bigger--later!

I still keep cat litter pans with water (as well as other buckets of water) around the property...so there is water nearby no matter where they range!!!! They spend a lot of time around their kiddy pool...which I've recently altered to spill over into a cat litter pan and then into a shallow "mini lake".....they LUV IT! I try to flush out their pool daily...and they know when I turn on the hose!!!! They come running ---

Sandra

When I had ducklings, I used a plastic paint pan. They usually have an incline on one end that was perfect for my little guys to be able to climb out of the water. Add a board or a couple of bricks on the outside for a ramp and they had no problems getting in and out- although it did take them a little while to figure out the ramp.

Elizabeth

Back
Top Bottom