Duckling Rescue Mission: Slipped Tendon

Coccidiosis is a likely culprite, but it could be other things, like a bacterial infection. When I get one that's off like that I treat it the with the Corid water, but I also give them a Corid drench, which I shoot for 20mg/kg. At 2-3 weeks old they're 100-200 grams? What I try to give mine is .02ml per 100 grams. Smaller ones get as small a drop as possible. Take the sickest one and look for discoloration on it's belly as it's possible that it has enteritis. Do you have any Baytril and can you post a poop picture?

-Kathy

Re:kittycat23

The splint has been a work in progress. Since her leg below the hock is twisted inward, I had to figure out a way to apply pressure to twist it back to center. I figured the only part of her leg where I can get this leverage is the foot because the leg is cylindrical. I cut a yogurt container lid into a square and put the sole of her foot onto it with her toes splayed out. I added ridges to the sides so I could get the vetwrap to wrap the lid to her foot (otherwise the toes just squish together and there is no leverage for twisting the leg). I also had to put gauze rolls between the toes on the top side to keep the foot flat and toes splayed out. After the foot was splayed out in one plane on the lid, I wrapped the leg (especially the joint) with gauze and extended the leg into the position I wanted it. I used a chopstick to keep the leg extended. I wrapped the chopstick in place with vetwrap, and the gauze protects the leg from the chopstick. I added a rubberband for extra security since last night she flung the whole thing into the poop pot. I still need to get more twisting motion, and I may need to add a wedge, but I think some time to adjust first and allow the tendon to stretch is needed before more extreme measures.

She really likes it better on the floor, and not in her sling/chair.

Not sure where you live, but many States in the US offer free or low cost necropsies. If you lose another, that's something to look into. That's what I did with two ducklings that I thought had wry neck. They looked like this:

Necropsy found E. coli from umbilicus/yolk sac infection. Had the preliminary results the day after I shipped them.

-Kathy

Re:kittycat23

The splint has been a work in progress. Since her leg below the hock is twisted inward, I had to figure out a way to apply pressure to twist it back to center. I figured the only part of her leg where I can get this leverage is the foot because the leg is cylindrical. I cut a yogurt container lid into a square and put the sole of her foot onto it with her toes splayed out. I added ridges to the sides so I could get the vetwrap to wrap the lid to her foot (otherwise the toes just squish together and there is no leverage for twisting the leg). I also had to put gauze rolls between the toes on the top side to keep the foot flat and toes splayed out. After the foot was splayed out in one plane on the lid, I wrapped the leg (especially the joint) with gauze and extended the leg into the position I wanted it. I used a chopstick to keep the leg extended. I wrapped the chopstick in place with vetwrap, and the gauze protects the leg from the chopstick. I added a rubberband for extra security since last night she flung the whole thing into the poop pot. I still need to get more twisting motion, and I may need to add a wedge, but I think some time to adjust first and allow the tendon to stretch is needed before more extreme measures.

She really likes it better on the floor, and not in her sling/chair.
Very clever!

-Kathy

Re: Kathy

I will probably do the necropsy myself, but since I have never done one, and since a chick is so small, it may be fruitless. I just haven't bucked up and done it yet...

Kathy-

Here's a picture of a poop from the sickest one:

It is pea green in color and well formed. Not the typical dark with a spot of white like the others. Probably bile? She is eating now for sure though so I'm not sure why her poo would be all bile.

She has had a pasty bottom today, which I washed off. Her belly seems a dark pinkish/reddish color (same as under her wing).

Is a drench just a concentrated dose? I'm new to this, and it makes me nervous to give more meds ! I have the 9.6% amprolium solution and have a scale so I can weigh her if we need to do this.

What do you think?

The drench is just a dose of the undiluted Corid - .02ml per 100 grams. That poop looks like it has too much mucus to me, so something is definitely up.

-Kathy

Last edited:
The drench is just a dose of the undiluted Corid - .02ml per 100 grams. That poop looks like it has too much mucus to me, so something is definetly up.

-Kathy
Where do you get Corid? And I apologize, but I am having trouble following, what is the Corid for exactly to treat?

Quote: Some feedstores sell 9.6% Corid liquid, but the 20% Corid Powder is more common. Either you would find in the cattle section. Corid (amprolium) is used to treat coccidiosis, it's the same medication that's in most medicated chick starters.

-Kathy

Yes, the corid is for my chicks, not the duck. Just had a spontaneous question in the middle of duck talk, since Kathy had good knowledge of coccidiosis and I have both a duck with a slipped tendon and chicks with coccidiosis at the same time. Good thing I got the stomach flu and was able to stay home with everyone these last few days...lol. I think the duck is coming with me to work today... sigh.

Back
Top Bottom