Duckling with a swollen neck?!

DuckyVanderQuack

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2023
I noticed while checking on Basil that the side of his neck is swollen?? It doesn't seem to be bothering him at all, he's still running around and eating and drinking just fine. It's warm to the touch and soft and kinda squishy.. has anyone had this issue? I did some research and read about 2 possible causes, ruptured air sac and crop issues? What do I do?? I put him in a pet carrier to take him to the vet hopefully later today.

Attachments

• 20231007_134934.jpg
    20231007_134934.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 61
Welcome to BYC. I think its crop is full of food.
I was reading through other threads and have an appointment for him on Monday. The lady at the vet said it sounds like a full crop too. Thank you! I was instructed to take out his food for now and let him rest with water available

I was reading through other threads and have an appointment for him on Monday. The lady at the vet said it sounds like a full crop too. Thank you! I was instructed to take out his food for now and let him rest with water available
Let me find a picture of a crop.

what are you feeding him and if you gave him anything like treats besides the regular chick/duckling food do you provide grit next to his food

what are you feeding him and if you gave him anything like treats besides the regular chick/duckling food do you provide grit next to his food
He's only on flock raiser and I gave him a couple dried mealworms today in his water. I haven't been giving him grit though

He's only on flock raiser and I gave him a couple dried mealworms today in his water. I haven't been giving him grit though
just put a little bowl of chick grit near his food. he needs it or he cant digest the meal worms or anything else besides the flock raiser. He also needs more niacin than flock raiser (or any feed out there even if it says for ducks ) provides so its strongly recommended to get a bag of Nutritional yeast and add 1 Tbsp to every 1 cup of feed :)

just put a little bowl of chick grit near his food. he needs it or he cant digest the meal worms or anything else besides the flock raiser. He also needs more niacin than flock raiser (or any feed out there even if it says for ducks ) provides so its strongly recommended to get a bag of Nutritional yeast and add 1 Tbsp to every 1 cup of feed :)
I've been giving him nutritional yeast, I'll send hubby out to pick up some grit on his way home from work today, thank you so much! Y'all have been so helpful and kind! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom