Duckling won’t walk!!

lwillis1421

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2023
I have a duckling that I helped hatch. It hatched 2 nights ago. It will eat and drink a little. It sleeps all the time! It will not sit up. It just lays on it’s side and scoots around by pushing it’s legs. When I try to sit it up, it tucks its head under and falls over. It don’t want to pick its head up to eat or drink or interact but will pick its head up to fluff or nibble at it’s little feathers. What can I do?!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 8
Do the legs seem spread apart like splayed legs? What is the ducklings being fed? Ducklings do need Niacin in their diet, you can purchase capsules of them at Walmart. Where is the duckling being kept? What's the temperature the duckling is being kept in? What kind of bedding are you using for the duckling? What were the issues when hatching? You should't help a duckling hatch unless it's been at least 24 hours since pipping and the duckling hasn't zipped yet. This can really hurt the duckling, especially if they weren't ready yet and haven't absorbed all of their yolk. Ducklings know when it's time for them to hatch. Where and how did you help the duckling hatch? Did you let the duckling dry and fluff up in the incubator after hatching? I suggest getting some poultry electrolytes and vitamins to give an extra boost. There is a possibility that the duckling is disabled or has something neurologically wrong. Ducklings are weak and get tired, but they're usually walking withing a day or two after hatching. This is not normal... Do the eyes look normal [ dark, glossy, clear ] ?
I wish the best of luck for you guys! ❤️
I hope I can help!

Last edited:
Can you explain the helping hatch
Why did you need to help ? Was it wrong end or did it pip internal but not external or was the external talking to long ?
Wheg assisting it can cause delays on being up running around but not days later
I’m thinking there is more going on with baby
They don’t usually need ti eat or drink for 24-48 hours after as the yolk keeps them full but some will try before that
Was there yolk left when baby was hatched out ? If so how big ?
Do you own the parents ? Oh so how are they health wise ? If not do you know anything about the parents ?
The last thing is I had one baby I had to help as he had 2 air cells and was never able to have room to move and hatch himself
But he was born with a v shape to his neck. Vet bills , nevk and back therapy as well as trying every vitamin available I was not able to fix the V and he wasn’t able to walk on his own , swim , eat or drink or preen. I had ti help him 24/7 and at 1 month I had ti make the heartbreaking choice as quality of life for him would never be there
I did everything I could
He developed this was in the egg and I couldn’t correct it
I hope we find a better solution for your little one.

Do the legs seem spread apart like splayed legs? What is the ducklings being fed? Ducklings do need Niacin in their diet, you can purchase capsules of them at Walmart. Where is the duckling being kept? What's the temperature the duckling is being kept in? What kind of bedding are you using for the duckling? What were the issues when hatching? You should't help a duckling hatch unless it's been at least 24 hours since pipping and the duckling hasn't zipped yet. This can really hurt the duckling, especially if they weren't ready yet and haven't absorbed all of their yolk. Ducklings know when it's time for them to hatch. Where and how did you help the duckling hatch? Did you let the duckling dry and fluff up in the incubator after hatching? I suggest getting some poultry electrolytes and vitamins to give an extra boost. There is a possibility that the duckling is disabled or has something neurologically wrong. Ducklings are weak and get tired, but they're usually walking withing a day or two after hatching. This is not normal... Do the eyes look normal [ dark, glossy, clear ] ?
I wish the best of luck for you guys! ❤️
I hope I can help!
It had been a little over 24 hours and didn’t zip and I didn’t want it to ware it’s self out but there was still some yolk and the cord was still attached so I left it attached to the yolk and egg over night in the incubator with the other eggs at 98F. I kept a baby monitor on it. The next morning the yolk was gone, cord dried up and it detached from egg. I’ve kept it in the incubator to stay warm and clean. I give him water and feed him Flock Party Raising Chick feed. The eyes look normal. And right after I made this post, I got him out to feed and eat him and he was picking his head up more. He even acted like he wanted to try to walk.

I know tone can be misconstrued online so I want to clarify beforehand I am saying this only to help you with future hatches, but you assisted the hatch way to early. Ducklings can take a full 48 hours to hatch. Even if they pip and have not made progress in 24 hours that actually is still very normal. The only time I would recommend stepping in before the 48 hour mark is if there is something visibly wrong with a duckling or it's a call duckling. I know you didn't want your duckling to get tired out, but being tired out while hatching is actually a very good thing. Ducklings in the egg have no muscle development and since ducklings start walking fairly shortly after hatch that struggle to hatch is what strengthens those muscles so they can walk. That's a big part of why many if not most assisted hatches take longer to learn how to walk than those that hatch on their own and are overall much weaker at first.

Now on how to help. If I am reading correctly your duckling overnight (last night) finished absorbing the yolk? If so your duckling still may not be interested in food for another day. Flock Party I believe is a Manna Pro sub brand and even Manna Pros duckling starter is on the low end for niacin. I could not find the niacin content of their flock party chick starter, but my guess would be its either the same or even lower in niacin content as manna pros duck starter since it is a chick feed. So I would highly recommend making sure your duckling is getting extra niacin daily even after recovery. A deficiency is much easier to prevent than recover from. Your duckling is also going to need extra vitamins in general due to being assisted. I use "Poultry Cell" (tractor supply and most farm stores carry it) on all ducklings especially those that I had to step in and help. I have seen it work wonders on ducklings that were flopping not being able to walk and within a short period of time they were back on their feet.

I know tone can be misconstrued online so I want to clarify beforehand I am saying this only to help you with future hatches, but you assisted the hatch way to early. Ducklings can take a full 48 hours to hatch. Even if they pip and have not made progress in 24 hours that actually is still very normal. The only time I would recommend stepping in before the 48 hour mark is if there is something visibly wrong with a duckling or it's a call duckling. I know you didn't want your duckling to get tired out, but being tired out while hatching is actually a very good thing. Ducklings in the egg have no muscle development and since ducklings start walking fairly shortly after hatch that struggle to hatch is what strengthens those muscles so they can walk. That's a big part of why many if not most assisted hatches take longer to learn how to walk than those that hatch on their own and are overall much weaker at first.

Now on how to help. If I am reading correctly your duckling overnight (last night) finished absorbing the yolk? If so your duckling still may not be interested in food for another day. Flock Party I believe is a Manna Pro sub brand and even Manna Pros duckling starter is on the low end for niacin. I could not find the niacin content of their flock party chick starter, but my guess would be its either the same or even lower in niacin content as manna pros duck starter since it is a chick feed. So I would highly recommend making sure your duckling is getting extra niacin daily even after recovery. A deficiency is much easier to prevent than recover from. Your duckling is also going to need extra vitamins in general due to being assisted. I use "Poultry Cell" (tractor supply and most farm stores carry it) on all ducklings especially those that I had to step in and help. I have seen it work wonders on ducklings that were flopping not being able to walk and within a short period of time they were back on their feet.
Thank you so much. After realizing my partner had convinced me into helping it too early I have started giving it the electrolytes and vitamins in the water. He seemed to want to walk now but does not have the balance. I finally found some niacin at a pharmacy I used to work at. I will now start giving it to the duckling. Should I sprinkle it over its food? And should I keep it away from the other ducklings! (We bought one duckling from the store and one duckling hatched by itself last night). So we currently have two ducklings in the bed with it. They don’t bother the injured duckling but they don’t interact or cuddle with it either.

Also… as I said it is acting like it wants to walk… but that’s with assistance. When I let go of it, it falls to its back/side and can’t sit properly. I have a nanny cam on it and am constantly getting up to feed and water it. The water has the electrolytes and vitamins mixed in it.

Back
Top Bottom