homesteadmama8

In the Brooder
Dec 30, 2021
This isn’t a question, more so just sharing info as I’ve learned incase anyone wants to know.

Got some 2 day old runner ducklings. Made them a brooder. Used an EcoGlow heating plate for heat- it works great whenever I get chicks!

The ducklings definitely get warm from it, it just seems like they struggle to get under it by themselves or they forget about it, so I sometimes have to put them under it myself. They sometimes are under it on their own and enjoying it, other times they are huddled and crying out because they’re cold.

So- if you get some little duckies and are using a heating plate, be weary! Keep an eye out and check on them often to make sure they’re getting the heat they need.

Attachments

• F50DB2E8-F882-4154-97D0-53F6D4813440.jpeg
    F50DB2E8-F882-4154-97D0-53F6D4813440.jpeg
    253 KB · Views: 28
  • F53A8BF8-7E39-45EE-816B-C5BEC74FDF61.jpeg
    F53A8BF8-7E39-45EE-816B-C5BEC74FDF61.jpeg
    384.7 KB · Views: 1
Have you tried setting your brooder plate legs at an angle so the back is low and the front is high? I do this with my ducks and I've found they prefer the angle more. It allows them to choose to sit directly against the brooder plate or just under it, but not touching so it's still warm. Easier for them to get under as well.

Last edited:
Have you tried setting your brooder plate legs at an angle so the back is low and the front is high? I do this with my ducks and I've found they prefer the angle more since it allows them to either be directly against the brooder plate or under it, but not touching so it's just warm. Easier for them to get under as well.
This is how I set mine up too and my ducklings were much happier with it like this.

Back
Top Bottom