Ducklings are odd

surprisebaby03

In the Brooder
May 21, 2015
Can I have some tips on taming ducklings? Thank you
smile.png

Well, of course, they need their basic needs for proper food, water, shelter (safety, temperature, healthy environment - not swampy) are the place to start, since healthy ducklings are more content.

While some breeds have a reputation for being mellow or not, from what I have seen and read, it's up to the individual duck, and their person.

Ducks are prey animals and so things that loom over them, or approach silently, or corner them, are scary - even if it's you.

They appreciate treats (see the sticky for safe treats, and remember they need a few days of chick grit before extras), soft music, conversation, and noodling around. Mine love it when I turn over rocks and dig in the duff for worms with them.

I can lie down with them and they'll come right up near me. A few will tuck in right against me, one or two might investigate my pockets or buttons or nibble on green things, shoe laces, that kind of thing. None of them likes being picked up. But some don't mind me touching them.

Every now and then there are ducks who don't mind being picked up and hugged. Some like to play fetch.

But meeting their basic needs including safety, spending loads of time with them are key.

Mine went through a phase when they were starkly terrified of me. But I changed my behavior, and after several weeks, they started to relax. I now have a very friendly flock.

Back
Top Bottom