DUCKLINGS DUE TO HATCH WHILE ON VACATION

MeredithW

Chirping
Feb 19, 2015
Minnesota
MY DUCKLINGS ARE DUE TO HATCH WHEN I'M GONE!!!
barnie.gif
ep.gif
he.gif

My female mallard is sitting on her nest, which has about 10 eggs or so. She started incubating about the first couple days of June, so the eggs will hatch around the end week of June.
wee.gif
This is unfortunate ,though because me and my family are going on vacation so I'll miss the ducklings hatching.
barnie.gif
However, my dad and brother will be home. This is the first time we've had the mom hatch the eggs (we've always incubated), so we don't know what we should do with the ducklings after they hatch.
hmm.png
My mom thinks we should keep them with the mom, and just separate her into a different pen, but I told her that I think the female (Dilly) will get depressed because she won't be with her flock. So I think we should collect the ducklings after they hatch and raise them inside under a heatlamp, because I've read somewhere that male mallard in captivity could potentially kill their offspring, and that it's not good to keep ducklings in the same pen as chickens . . .
hu.gif
Since I'll be gone when they hatch, my brother and dad need to know what to do, because they usually have no idea.

We're very torn right now . . .
idunno.gif
Any advice would be awesome!!!

Thank you so much!!!!

Last edited:
I would leave the ducklings with their mother. She instinctively knows what to do, and it is far simpler to let the hen raise them.

Back
Top Bottom