Ducklings Etc. In Cornelius, OR

Procyron

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 8, 2014
Cornelius, OR
I used to live on a lake near the coast and played with the wild mallards that had grown tame from constant offerings of dried corn and fish. They even brought their ducklings up on our deck!

Now I have a half acre on the wetlands in Cornelius and thought getting ducklings from the local feed store would be a similar experience. It is soooo not! I have a Rouen and a Chocolate Indian Runner, which can never be set free due to the fact that neither can fly! The learning curve for raising domestic ducks is intense, but they are both the sweetest cuddlers and really amazing animals to have. The local mallards come by to stare at them whenever they're out following me around, though the wetlands might be a hindrance rather than an asset given all the predators. Even though I originally wanted wild animals that could thrive on their own, BYC has been really helpful in showing me how to take care of domesticated breeds, and now I see the appeal and am glad I get to keep them close and raise them as pets. I just finished building their outdoor home and run, and have been talking much more with local farmers and urban chicken owners about sustainability.

I want to get chickens and quail too some time in the future. Just after much much more research and preparation.....

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

I have had an amazing number of lessons courtesy of my birds

images

Welcome to BYC!

Your pics are adorable! Ducks are a very enjoyable breed of poultry to keep. I don't keep them, but enjoy living vicariously through those that do!!

Welcome to our flock and enjoy yours!

We had wild mallard ducks(2 drakes and 1 hen) that used to come to our doorstep to remind us to treat them. All we had were small pieces of bread and they let us know by expression and actions, that we better put some water out for them ASAP if not sooner. We had no idea what you give ducks.

The female used to fly up on the ledge of our picture window in the living room and look in, it was quite a surprise for us. They hung around for a few weeks and then disappeared.

Next year a mallard drake and a hen came by -the hen was much larger- I guess a ruen(? spelling) definitely not the same hen. She would get on the window sill and look inside also. And both came to the side doorstep and expected treats.

For former city people this was a real experience.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom