Ducklings -- How Much Protection Needed?

North Slope Farmer

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 14, 2010
After a longer time than I expected, at last my Cayuga hatched out five babies this past Friday. She's a very protective mom of very cute (of course) babies. I kept them apart from the other five ducks and one goose until today, when I decided to let them all free range together (everyone is closed in at night). Big mistake! One of the 2 drakes was determined to mate with Momma, who took off running, with him in hot pursuit. He seemed very aggressive when he caught up with her. There was a lot of distressed quacking from both mother and babies, who became separated. I drove off the drake and saw to it that mother and ducklings were reunited. Stubborn (or foolish) me decided to wait and see if this situation might abate, but there was a repeat performance a bit later on. So everyone's back to separate quarters (inconvenient, because I'm not yet really set up for this). My question is for how long they will need to be kept apart, so that I know whether I have to build another pen. And when will it finally be safe to bring the whole flock together?

I've had my ducks for a year and this is the very first brood, so any guidance would be much appreciated!

I would say that you should look up some mating seasons for cayuga and untill then you will need another pen but they will need to be close to each other so the drake can't get to the momma or her babies this is crucial because after a few tries trying to get with her he will finnaly give up and proceed with his life when the mating season is over , or if you see that drake is not trying to get to the mother then you can reunite the flock (main importance make sure the babys are safe ) Hope that helped
smile.png

15,chickens, 2 mallard ducks, 2 White pekin ducks, 1 Black Swedish duck, 2 chow dogs, 1 Teacup chihauhau
big_smile.png

Last edited:
We had a similar experience with our khaki campbell drake. We ended up keeping the mama and babies penned up until they were about 3 or 4 weeks old. By then the babies were a bit bigger and not distressed about getting seperated and could keep away from the drake when he chased after them.

Back
Top Bottom