Ducklings (not ducks) with chickens?

White Rabbit

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2016
Laredo, Texas
One of my muscovies started laying and hopefully I will have some ducklings soon. So my question is will they be OK with the chickens or will I need to separate them? The run is about 25 x 30 with ten chickens and four muscovies.

One of my muscovies started laying and hopefully I will have some ducklings soon. So my question is will they be OK with the chickens or will I need to separate them? The run is about 25 x 30 with ten chickens and four muscovies.
@White Rabbit I would give mom and ducklings their own space with in your run so the ducklings are safe and mom and them can bond with out interference which can happen with chickens and other ducks getting in the way. I usually give mine at least 2 weeks where everyone can see each other but no harm can come to the ducklings. Does your flock free range/ might be a good idea to let everyone out the morning you decide to let mom and babies out for the first time so everyone has plenty of room to stay away from mom she may get pretty cranky about anyone getting close to her little ones.

January through March they are in the 25' x 30' run. Now that my grass is growing again I will let them out in the evening because my dogs like chicken. This gives them time to clean up the yard and put themselves up for the night. As for letting them out in the morning I live in the city and have a block fence so predators have never been an issue so I just leave the coops open. No problem with separating them though so I'll take your advice and just separate them at first. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom