Ducklings not externally pipping

Ok, turned the temp up a bit.
Just got back from my doctor appointment. I noticed there was a little bit of Amber color on the shell paper/membrane. Is my humidity to high at 80%? If so what should I bring it down to?

I swabbed water with a q-tip around the membrane that was surrounding the duckling but no longer attached to the shell. I did not see any yellow coming onto my q-tip while doing this. I also removed a little more shell that wasn't attached to anything so I could get around with the cotton swab a little more easily.

Still chirpy, yawning...even stuck out his little tongue. So cute!
I hatch at 75% and it often goes up to 80-90 during the actual hatch. I am a strong believer that if you are going to be opening the bator, especially in the cases of assisting you need that higher humidity. Unless there is condensation in the bator at 80%, I would not worry about it. Having it higher is not going to compromise them, having it too low is what is going to cause the membranes to dry out faster and stick to the hatchling preventing it from being able to move and progress naturally. If you are opening your bator to assist or keep the membranes moist, you are going to let dryer air in and humidity out every time you open.

Thanks for that tip!

He is trying so hard to pop himself out of there right now.
1f600.png
Maybe by morning! Looks like there are only a couple of tiny veins at the back of the shell yet. Don't think he's considered shrink wrapped considering I can get a cotton swab between him and the inner membrane. May have a couple sticky spots yet, though.

Pretty sure it's a Pekin/GreyRunner mix.

I am sure I will be up every couple hours checking on him again. I've got my fingers crossed!

The next egg due to hatch is tapping on the shell, no chirping yet, though.

A question about that, if it's internally pipped but not chirping, does that mean he isn't breathing yet, and therefore not yet using up the oxygen in the air cell?

Thanks for that tip!

He is trying so hard to pop himself out of there right now.
1f600.png
Maybe by morning! Looks like there are only a couple of tiny veins at the back of the shell yet. Don't think he's considered shrink wrapped considering I can get a cotton swab between him and the inner membrane. May have a couple sticky spots yet, though.

Pretty sure it's a Pekin/GreyRunner mix.

I am sure I will be up every couple hours checking on him again. I've got my fingers crossed!

The next egg due to hatch is tapping on the shell, no chirping yet, though.

A question about that, if it's internally pipped but not chirping, does that mean he isn't breathing yet, and therefore not yet using up the oxygen in the air cell?
I can say that I don't always here chirping before the external pip. (And I am stuck to my bator once I go into lockdown...lol)

I agree. I've actually only had one chirper! Of course LouLou the house duck hasn't shut up since she took her first breath!
Good luck. I'll be up babysitting my early bird hatch too.... Ugh!

Last edited:
Baby has arrived! Full of energy! He is all over the place. When can I stick him under my Brinsea brooder? I am afraid he's going to hurt himself on the heating element!

I'm not familiar with a brinsea brooder. I put mine in my brooder once their dry and fluffy... Rubbermaid bin and heat lamp... Maybe google it or go on their website??!?
Just make sure to wet wipe the baby if he's got sticky stuff on him... And,
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

I did my best to clean him off. He is dry and mostly fluffy. I stuck him under the brooder and he crawled over to the warm side and sounds settled for now. He'd complain if he was cold, right? I'm am just so paranoid! We finally got a live one and I don't want to mess it up now! I know we've had baby ducklings before...but they were 2 days old when we got them... I feel like a new mom again! Ha!

You did great. Give him a stuffed animal to cuddle (in the warm spot) and see if you can secure a mirror for him in there too. They hate being alone!!! You have duckling crumbles and water for tomorrow? And make sue he knows where it is and how to drink. If his yolk is fully absorbed, he won't need all that for a day though.
Now, important stuff.... What kind, what name and PICTURES!!!!!

He's too wiggly for a good picture! But he's grey and yellow! SO CUTE!!! (Hoping he's a she! Lol!) No name yet...I will let the kids argue over it in the morning.

We have crumbles, bought them weeks ago to get ready for our hatchlings, but those babies didn't make it. (Same issue, couldn't pip the shells.)

I will go dig up a stuffed animal! My kids have tons!
1f600.png

Back
Top Bottom