ducklings of different ages: when can they be together?

DuckGirl77

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 19, 2016
New York
Hi, I ordered six ducklings from Metzer and one arrived dead. I was sent a replacement and her buddy the following week. When will the older ones and the younger ones be the same size and when will they work together? I let the two little ones out with one bigger one and the bigger one chased the little ones around and tried to bite them. On Monday, the bigger ones will be three weeks and the younger ones will be two weeks. I know I'm not the only one that has been sent replacements; what do you guys do? Even if they would work together, I'll probably keep them separate until the little ones are bigger so they don't get stepped on or something like that, but, since I don't have a limitless amount of time, it would be handy if I could let them all outside or in the tub at once. Thanks
big_smile.png

The smaller ones are in a big plastic bin, and the bigger ones are in a bigger wooden brooder - I call it "The Hog Pen" because it's gross and the ducklings make such a mess. I will try to post a picture. The computer is not cooperating right now
somad.gif

Any way you can make it so one group sees the other and after a bit, you should be able to combine them without much issue.

I let my 3 five week old ducklings meet my 4 two week old ducklings in a kiddie pool that was filled a little. I also put some ripped grass in the pool so all the ducks were too busy eating and playing to worry about each other and when they noticed each other the older ones pecked at the babies for a minute and then they loved each other. The babies follow the big ones around all the time now.

Any way you can make it so one group sees the other and after a bit, you should be able to combine them without much issue.
I think they can see each other now (you can't really see it in the picture, but the side of the brooder facing the plastic bin is not solid wood, it's kind of like a fence.),so I guess I can try introducing them whenever. Maybe tonight they can all play in the tub :)
I let my 3 five week old ducklings meet my 4 two week old ducklings in a kiddie pool that was filled a little. I also put some ripped grass in the pool so all the ducks were too busy eating and playing to worry about each other and when they noticed each other the older ones pecked at the babies for a minute and then they loved each other. The babies follow the big ones around all the time now.
I like the idea of putting them in the water together with something to eat! I might try peas; I've heard lots of good things about ducklings and peas :)
Wow, mine are only one week apart and I was scared to put them together, but yours are three weeks apart! I can see from the picture that they are much different in size, too. Alright, I think mine will be fine. Thanks!

Mine are 1 week apart also! They get along fine. I think MoonMoon enjoys being boss.
1f609.png

I've seen you post on other threads, I thought you only had 4 ducks, Rowen, Topanga, and 2 others, a anacona and a mystery one. Are these new?

Mine are 1 week apart also! They get along fine. I think MoonMoon enjoys being boss.
1f609.png

I've seen you post on other threads, I thought you only had 4 ducks, Rowen, Topanga, and 2 others, a anacona and a mystery one. Are these new?
No that's Jujubeans2008. I know, it's really hard to keep track of who owns which ducks! I've seen you post on lots of other threads, too.
I have six: Josephine, Jesse, Liliuokalani, and Adele are the almost 3 wk. olds, and Quackers and Puddles are the almost 2wk olds.
MoonMoon is the magpie, right?
That's funny that yours are also a week apart! Do you keep all yours together even with the age and size difference?
I put them all in the tub, and they had a blast! Putting them in the water was a good idea! I gave them peas while they were in there, and they LOVED it! I only had trouble with my KC, Adele, bothering the little ones. I had to interfere a little before she left them alone. Are those older ones in the pic KCs? Do you keep all yours in the same brooder?
Thanks!

No that's Jujubeans2008. I know, it's really hard to keep track of who owns which ducks! I've seen you post on lots of other threads, too.
I have six: Josephine, Jesse, Liliuokalani, and Adele are the almost 3 wk. olds, and Quackers and Puddles are the almost 2wk olds.
MoonMoon is the magpie, right?
That's funny that yours are also a week apart! Do you keep all yours together even with the age and size difference?
I put them all in the tub, and they had a blast! Putting them in the water was a good idea! I gave them peas while they were in there, and they LOVED it! I only had trouble with my KC, Adele, bothering the little ones. I had to interfere a little before she left them alone. Are those older ones in the pic KCs? Do you keep all yours in the same brooder? 

Thanks!

Right! Sorry that is jujubeans2008. Yea MoonMoon the magpie ;) I post on to many threads
1f609.png
that's right you've got the Hawaii Queen and Adele, and the J names, with the eversopopular Quackers and Puddles. Yes mine share the same brooder they seem happy. I also got a messed order. They sent me 2 of the 4 I ordered so I had to reorder the other 2

Back
Top Bottom