Ducks 101 for a Newbie to Raising Ducks

baltimoreharps

Songster
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Cabarrus Co.
I just spent a ton of time typing out a post and then lost it,
roll.png
so I'm asking from a beginner's side of ducks before I start with them.

We have 15 chickens total, 13 EE's from a BYC member and 2 silkies, one roo, one hen from another BYC'er. The EE flock and the silkies are separated in different coops.
We also have 5 cats who are not aggresive to the chickens.

We have 3 acres total, and a 1/3 of the property is a very large, shallow pond which has Canadian Geese currently residing there on some days. Our property is NOT fenced in and won't be until we can either buy it or move to our own land. We rent now and our landlord is awesome with having livestock, he doesn't care at all!!
big_smile.png

My questions are:
1: What DO you feed ducks and ducklings? Do they eat chicken feed, game bird feed, what at what ages?
2: If I get Pekins, will they be able to defend themselves from the geese? And if I get them as ducklings, how long should I brood them?
3: What type of housing and how many do you need for a flock with ducks to make them comfy where they will stay with you and not fly off?

Sorry if it sounds stupid, I've been reading but I'm not getting it with ducks so much as I am with chickens even using search. Chickens, I've got down, ducks...eh, not so much but they are so cute and funny, I just have to get some if I can take care of them properly!!

Thanks in advance for a newbie to ducks!!
big_smile.png

i'd go with game bird start. chick feed can be dangerous, i know from fatal experience
idk about pekins and geese, i'd say brood till fully feathered??
a coop and run will do. i am like 99% sure pekins don't fly. but i was also told muscovies don't fly and mine do, in my bedroom lol. my drake actually just flew and scared the crap out of me, i guess turning the light off is out of the question hahaha, maybe he's scared of the dark?

Ducks and geese together... My original geese were actually brooded with ducklings, and since they were bigger they concluded that the ducklings were their children. Later generations of geese continued to hang out with the ducks. In fact, when I had 2 ganders, the loser of the mating competition decided to flirt with the ducks since he wasn't allowed near the female geese. So I conclude that your ducks will not have any big problems with the geese.

I've got some feed from Tractor Supply that is OK for both chicks and ducklings (non-medicated), otherwise I just ask at the feed mill for duckling feed (which I feed to baby chicks as well.)

I'd suggest you get the book 'Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks' it's very helpful with duck information.

Non-medicated chick starter is fine, but you will have to supplement extra niacin because they need more than chickens. Some disolve niacin tablets in the water (check for dosage, I think another poster said 250mg per gal, but check or maybe they'll post) others sprinkle some brewer's yeast over the food. They're protein needs change by age, lifestage. 1-3wks 18-20%; 3-8wks 15-16%; 9wks + 14%; breeding/laying birds 16-17%.

There are some threads on here about how long to brood. The answers vary, but I it seems that the general feeling is that they need less time in the brooder than chicks. Mine are four weeks old, and were about to go out, but then we got snow, errr!!! So as a newbie not wanting to chance fate, they are still inside.

I don't think Pekins fly. And housing really depends on how safe you need to make them from predators and/or your own or your neighbors pets (cats/dogs). And as far as space, if they are going to be allowed free-range time daily or have a decent run then I think a small shelter will do. Some use large dog crates or houses. We are going to use the portable electric poultry netting to let them range in different areas through out the day, but will be making runs off of their houses so that they can enjoy safer outdoor time if we feel we won't be back in before dark to let them in.

I have scovy eggs inbound for hatching but have raised 3 Rouens from ducklings. I was advised not to use chick feed, bu use a gamebird feed with higher protien and calcium for the bones to develop due to being a heavier bird. Mine did very well on this so I intend to do the same for the new batch. I did not use any medicated feed at all, and kept the ducks in a brooder and seperate run until they were feathered and big enuff to fend for themselves in the yard. I have 2.5 acres in central Fl with a small pond that they enjoy. the dogs donot bother them as they will pinch the smaller one and ride their backs until they (ducks) get tired or I shoo them away. The big dogs ignore them or show the teeth if the ducks bother them. So no problems with my dogs, chickens and ducks.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom