Ducks, again!

jonhi

Chirping
May 2, 2020
Salt Lake, UT
I have an automatic duck door and my first two ducks got eaten when they were caught outside when it closed. I went out to let them in only a couple hours after sundown but it was too late. I might just readjust it to close a little later but for now it's just off.

Anyway, I got four new ducklings from my local Cal Ranch, but they don't keep them separated by breed like they do for chickens. So it makes it a bit of a gamble. My daughter picked one that turned out to be a Fawn and White Runner. She lays light green eggs. We also got two drakes that seem to be Rouens. The last one I'm not sure? It's not as dark as Khaki Campbells I've seen so I'm thinking it's a Golden Layer? She lays about one large egg a day. They taste better than the runner eggs, less gamey and more moist. She also can fly about 12ft high, better than the drakes which only get up to about 8ft.

PXL_20221007_155327979.jpg

PXL_20221007_155336211.MP.jpg

PXL_20221007_155402530.jpg

From the Cal Ranch website about the Hoover Hatchery ducks they get: "BREEDS MAY INCLUDE: Pekin, Rouen, Khaki Campbell, Blue Swedish, White Crested, Fawn & White Runner, Black Runner, Blue Runner, Chocolate Runner, Saxony, Silver Appleyard, Golden 300 and White Layer."
Any ideas as to what breed she is?

You have 2 male Rouens, 1 Fawn Runner, and 1 Saxony. 😁 Because you have 2 males, the male-to-female ratio should be 1 drake to 4-6 hens, so make sure you can care for them properly, keep them safe, and own more or get rid of a male and add a few females.

I think those are mallard drakes. I also don't think that's a Saxony. Too small and no eye stripes. I think your guess at golden 300 maybe correct. They are lovely ducks. I agree you may have a ratio problem.

Thank you all! I am planning that the two drakes are probably going to be gone before Thanksgiving and Christmas, which will solve the ratio problem. I have been reading up on how to properly slaughter them. Next spring I plan to get a few more ducks, but I have to do some digging in the area of the coop before I expand my run.
Thanks again for the help!

Back
Top Bottom