Ducks and their ability to recover

th.gif

Thanks Miss Lydia!!
I'm glad there wasn't a camera!! All the sound would be edited out. There was a blue streak coming from both of us... You'd think we were a coupe of sailors out on shore leave!!
Not really, but that's the only part I remember speech-wise :) I sure do like eating raspberries, but I don't like trying to walk through 'em!!!
yuckyuck.gif

Thanks Miss Lydia!!
I'm glad there wasn't a camera!! All the sound would be edited out. There was a blue streak coming from both of us... You'd think we were a coupe of sailors out on shore leave!!
Not really, but that's the only part I remember speech-wise :) I sure do like eating raspberries, but I don't like trying to walk through 'em!!!
clap.gif

PotatoWaffles,
I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles. Please let me know if there's anything I can help with. Still consider myself new at all this but amazed at how much I've learned by doing and reading in sites like this.

Troy & Tina

PotatoWaffles,
I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles. Please let me know if there's anything I can help with. Still consider myself new at all this but amazed at how much I've learned by doing and reading in sites like this.

Troy & Tina

Thank you very much. Unfortunately there's not much else I can do other than what I've done. My husband do forgot to refill the pool after emptying it two nights ago, he only got it filled a little way before we had to leave for dinner, and forgot to fill it the rest of the way when we got back. I didn't even know he was emptying it.

About six of my 12 ducks jumped in and couldn't get back out because the water level was too low and they were stuck in freezing water all night and most of the best day. Most of them were fine, just a little chilled, but My Cayuga, Michelle, got torn up on her neck because they started getting stressed and panicking, I'm assuming. Her skin on the back of her neck and shoulders is red and raw and missing feathers. She was soaked to the core and shivering. I treated her as best I could yesterday with neospoein and got her set up in the garage. Took most of the evening sorting it all out and setting up and trying to warm her up I a towel and treating her. She was preening alright afterwards but seemed slow and sluggish, her wings dropping and constantly twitching. I kept her overnight in the garage pen with another duck for company and a heat lamp for warmth. I'll see how she is when I get back home today. I've seen ducks bounce back from pretty bad situations so I m hopeful.

My husband didn't want to put any cinder blocks or anything in the pool for them to use to step out because it made it difficult when rinsing, and they can jump out fine when the water level is high enough. But yesterday I put my foot down and put two blocks in there. Hopefully it will prevent this situation in the future.

I'm counting on their ability to recover. My cayuga is pretty bad off right now. I spent all afternoon playing "duck doctor" yesterday
hmm.png
Did you have this posted somewhere else i went back through this thread and couldn't find anything.. Oh my gosh hope your duck and I don't know which one is going to be okay.
hugs.gif

Completely understand. So sorry to hear about Michelle's current situation. It sounds like the same steps I would take, maybe some added vitamins if you have any laying around, I picked up a small container of poultry vitamin supplement from TSC for 5 or 6 dollars. @Amiga on here may have additional thoughts and is someone I would also ask for an opinion. Warmth, liquids and TLC. My best wishes and warmest thoughts to you and your little Cayuga Michelle!!!

Troy & Tina

Did you have this posted somewhere else i went back through this thread and couldn't find anything.. Oh my gosh hope your duck and I don't know which one is going to be okay.  :hugs

Thank you, it's my Cayuga, Michelle. This is her just a few days ago all happy and healthy.

Completely understand.  So sorry to hear about Michelle's current situation.  It sounds like the same steps I would take, maybe some added vitamins if you have any laying around, I picked up a small container of poultry vitamin supplement from TSC for 5 or 6 dollars.  @Amiga on here may have additional thoughts and is someone I would also ask for an opinion.  Warmth, liquids and TLC.  My best wishes and warmest thoughts to you and your little Cayuga Michelle!!!

Troy & Tina

Thank you. I didn't even think of extra vitamins *facepalm* I'll give her some in her water if she still seems bad this afternoon.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom