Ducks Hardly Laying

carolynm

Songster
11 Years
Apr 5, 2011
Bailey, CO
I have a 4 ancona ducks-3 hens one drake, all just turned 2 years old. My hens have hardly laid this year. I've got maybe 2 dozen eggs since January?

The drake is not agressive (I don't ever see him mating though I know he does as I have hatched eggs from these ducks).

They are getting a 16% organic grain mix with brewers yeast added every few days, and weeds from the garden (more than they can eat) and crushed egg cell.

I'm wondering if they are missing an micro nutrients? Can anyone recommend a good supplement? Any other ideas?

Carolyn

Laying birds do need plenty of nutrition, but if they are getting a good laying mix, especially if they also have forage, then it shouldn't be related to diet.

Is it extra warm out?
Could they have parasites?
Are they showing any symptoms of disease?

Laying birds begin to decline in productivity after a few years, so it may just be that. It depends on genetics, how they were fed as ducklings, and other such things.

I hope this helps. Best of luck!

The feed is a blend of grains but no added vitamins/minerals so that's why I'm asking about that. It certainly is a nice mix it has peas, flax, barley, oats etc in it but it is sold as an organic grain mix not specifically for layers that's why I'm wondering about the nutrition aspect.

These birds have never been the best layers so it could be genetics playing a part in this too. I have a new line to add and I'm hoping it boosts productivity!

Bump* hoping for some suggestions...I'd really like some duck eggs. My chickens have been laying an egg a day on the same feed except they free range during the day...gosh I hope it's not genetics. These birds hatched in 2013, first layed in Feb 2014, layed through about Aug regularly, moulted layed a bit in November and then that's about it. Not very good stats!

From about 8:00 am until 7:30 pm-at night they are put up in a tractor so have light as long as it is light outside. I just cleaned the nest box today-I don't think that will help as they never used it much anyhow.

Still no eggs-I've had about 2 eggs in the last month. . I've started upping there protein by adding soya bean meal in hopes of getting them to lay. How about feed quantity? These ducks have always been gluttons and would overeat if I let them (I did try to get them to free feed and they ate so much they could hardly walk). I'm feeding 4 birds about 1# day of feed, plus garden and kitchen scraps. Maybe I should try to up their feed a bit?

I think Anconas would need a bit more feed than they are getting - they're each getting .25 pounds, and Storey's Guide recommends, for 6 to 7 pound ducks, .4 to .5 pounds per duck per day for layers.

Feed needs vary with exercise, stress (including heat and cold), and a variety of other factors. You might try adjusting the feeding method. If you went from limited feed to free choice, I would expect they would overeat.

Perhaps you can increase the number of feedings as well as the amount per duck in increments - not too slowly, but not all at once. You may find that for your ducks, .6 pounds per duck per day gets you optimal health, and therefore optimal laying.

Last edited:
hope this is helpful. I believe between 2-3 is ideal. @casportpony

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom