Ducks having Diarrhea treatment.

Homie Ducks

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 30, 2014
Pakistan
According to symptoms my ducks are having diarrhea . Any natural treatment please ?
I am giving them yougurt and cabbage it's improving the poop. I want more info.

Homie,
Ducks are definitely a lot different than other poultry. I've found a few easy tips to help keep them healthy. Bacteria around the water source is a frequent cause of illness. Just putting vinegar under water dishes and swimming areas will cut back on a lot of problems. Just a splash every day or two, under and not in.

Since ducks are VERY wet, mold in the bedding and sleeping areas is also a common problem. I like to spray everything down weekly with citric acid and salt. In reality that just means mix a pack of kool aid, a tablespoon of salt, mix it with enough warm water to dissolve it, and spray everything down. It really does kill mold and spores.

I've found that using a cheap deer or turkey feeder is the best way to keep feed dry and still accessible. I wait for the off season sales at Tractor supply. I got a tail gate deer feeder two years ago for fourty five dollars and just pulled out the mechanical spreader, making it into a gravity feeder, then this spring I picked up a nice gravity fed turkey feeder (hanging type) for twenty dollars. You don't have to spend a lot if you wait for the sales.

Also, Muscovy are very prone to coccidiosis (I hope I spelled that right). So, it's best never to feed Muscovy mown grass, unless you mow your grass very high (over three inches). I've heard that fermenting it makes it safe, but I have NO idea how to ferment grass.

And, don't forget that Muscovy are little meat eaters. They need protein. I give my birds sixteen percent turkey feed, plus scratch grain, alfalfa, corn, and they get veggie treats from the garden when they're in season. Everyone has their own favorite feed mix for their ducks, and it's a balancing act between not enough protein causing health problems and too much protein causing angel wing and other health issues.

I also give my ducks feed grade molasses in their water as a vitamin supplement. It has iron, calcium, potassium, and other good things for ducks. I'm surprised I don't have little diabetic ducks out there from giving them sugar like that, but it really does help. I don't use a lot, just enough that the water looks like very weak tea.

Finally, and I have NOT tried this, but have Heard of it... giving ducks apple cider vinegar for diarrhea. (If anyone has tried this, and reads this, could you let me know if it works or not? I haven't tried it myself and would like to know if it's just a wives tale or if it works)

I do hope your ducks get to feeling better.

Dot.

How much water do ducklings drink?? My 3 Pekins are about 3 weeks old and drink like crazy! A gallon just about every other day but a little sooner. I have never had ducks and we are learning the ropes!!!
Welcome to BYC! They do drink a lot, but I think they spill more than they drink.

-Kathy

Last edited:
According to symptoms my ducks are having diarrhea . Any natural treatment please ?
I am giving them yougurt and cabbage it's improving the poop. I want more info.

yogurt is good but can you get probiotics for animals? alot of feed stores here sell it, it comes in powder form. in a pinch you could use human probiotics. I take one called, Florajen3. Sorry you have had some many problem with your ducks Homie I hope they will get better .

Ok I will try. Two years ago I used to raise chickens because of my studies I sadly send them away to farm. I didn't faced to much problems as I am facing now with ducks.
I will try my best to make them healthy and again sadly I am going to send them to farm.

Last edited:
Ok I will try. Two years ago I used to raise chickens because of my studies I sadly send them away to farm. I didn't faced to much problems as I am facing now with ducks.
I will try my best to make them healthy and again sadly I am going to send them to farm.

What are you feeding them? I'm sorry your going to take them to a farm but understand it can sometimes be too much.

Ok I also bought antibiotics because of weeping nostrils.
They are also having respiratory issue. Month ago the Vet gave this antibiotic but when I asked the name of medicine he didn't answered. After two hour of search on internet I got it and purchased it :)

Last edited:
They are also having respiratory issue. Month ago the Vet gave this antibiotic but when I asked the name of medicine he didn't answered. After two hour of search on internet I got it and purchased it :)

Homie antibiotics will cause tummy upset too so very important they get a probiotic along with it. Even yeast can become a problem when antibiotics are used. Amiga has some good ideas can you get oatmeal or oats? mix them into their feed and if you can get some activated charcoal, over here it can be found in the antacid isle just a small amount in their water.

I remember you said their was mold somewhere, was it inside their house/bedding? feed? Mold is extremely dangerous for poultry. maybe try to eradicate that problem and you'll see the respiratory problems clear up.

Back
Top Bottom