Ducks in water all night?

Bokbok

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 27, 2007
The short question is: do domesticated ducks like my buffs often stay in the water all night? Won't they be cold? The long version is down below...

Yesterday I got the three buff ladies a kiddie pool -- quite a step up from their tiny grout-bucket pool they had before. They love it so much because now they can all fit in at once and splash with room to spare. BUT... this evening I noticed they were all just sitting in the water when the sun went down. I drove away on and errand and when I came back an hour later they were still there. Finally, a little while ago I realized they had just been sitting in there for hours on end, doing nothing, and I got a little worried. Maybe they didn't know how to get out? So I walked over and leaned in the enclosure, which usually sends them running, but I was able to grab each girl and place her out of the water with a shoo toward the coop. But as I walked back into the house, I could tell they were just waiting for me to leave, creeping back to get into the pool again! It's cold outside too! Probably 45 degrees! They can't catch cold, can they? I covered the pool with boards, because I wanted them to stop. Am I being a worry-wort?

It won't hurt them at all to be in the water when it is cold. My ducks were the reason our pond didn't freeze over completely this past winter. If it is really cold, the water actually could be warmer. Otherwise, it could be that they feel safer on the water. But don't worry about them, they will get out if they need to
smile.png

ETA: And yes, you are being a worry wort
tongue.png
Just had to toss that in
big_smile.png

But seriously, ducks are very hardy, there are very few things that make them sick, and cold water is not one of them.

Last edited:
Mine stay in the water all night too, sleep in it too! Sometimes you have to remember that they are wild creatures and this is what comes naturally to them. Think about the duck feathers too and how warm they are. Mine seem terribly hot even in the slightest bit of warm, makes sense!

My ducks never get out of the water...I go out there and make them get out to eat they grab a few bites and right back in the water!!!!

Last edited:
I asked a very similar question last year when I was first raising my ducks. They do spend a lot of time on the water. That is fine.
They are not like chickens, they don't seem to "go to bed" at night. They are up and about during the night as well as daytime, doing all their regular ducky things.

my three calls never go inside except to eat. They would prefer to be fed at the pond. Their coop is only 18 inchs from the water. They stay in the pond all the time. even running around on ice when the have a warm heated coop.

Back
Top Bottom