Ducks In Winter - PA

ShelbyR28

In the Brooder
Nov 23, 2022
Hello! I have four Khaki Campbell ducks out on an acre pond. During the winter, we run a water pump to keep the pond from completely freezing. There is also a floating duck house out in the middle. It is -8 degrees with the wind blowing. A Great Horned Owl has been tormenting the flock. Two of the four have injuries sustained from an attack but we are u able to catch them, they just run into the water where we cannot grab them. Will the ducks be okay in the weather tonight? I am very worried about them especially because they are not 100% healthy. I really wish they would let us catch them. The two hurt ones did go into the duck house, well the one is on the deck of the house. The other two were staying in the water? Can anyone help calm my nerves? This weather is stressing me out about them being outside.

I wish I could help to help with your stress but they really need to be examined and treated for their injuries. And locked up at night to protect them. If you have a canoe or raft you might be able to get them on land and have family or friends help to keep them from getting back in the water and herd them to their coop on land. We see this quite often here on BYC members let their ducks lose on their pond and can't get them off. I saw where using a heavy rope and going on each side of the pond and dragging the rope behind them and getting them up on land might not work on an acre pond though.

Definitely try to lure them with whatever treats and food you can, and secure them in a safe coop so you can keep them warm and treat the injuries and get them adjusted to a new, safer lifestyle!

I’m here in PA my monsters love this weather 10deg out, there in the creek playing,they come back home there tail feathers are frozen they just don’t care,there not like people they are genetically engineered to live outside.

Even take time for a Christmas photo

Attachments

• 929581B1-703B-4E6C-8D98-6EBF7114B566.jpeg
    929581B1-703B-4E6C-8D98-6EBF7114B566.jpeg
    193 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom