Ducks not laying

Just wondered. My girl can fly pretty well when she wants to too. Wasn't sure if all Khaki's were like that or just mine. My pekin can't get 2 feet off the ground.
gig.gif

Just wondered. My girl can fly pretty well when she wants to too. Wasn't sure if all Khaki's were like that or just mine. My pekin can't get 2 feet off the ground.
gig.gif

Pekins are in the heavyweight class and weigh too much for their wings to support their body weight. KCs, especially toward the smaller end of the range, don't weigh much at all. Some can actually fly very well, though they usually fly fairly close to the ground unless they're coming off a hill.

I love ducks that fly. I'd say 95% of the time I see people on here and elsewhere ask for recommendations on what breeds of ducks to get, one of their requirements is that they be ducks that don't fly. Our ducks fly around all the time, and that's actually the most fun I have watching them :)

The only reason I would say I wouldn't want ducks/drakes that can fly is the potential they would fly away and never return. I have had a few people tell me this happened to them. Especially drake owners. The drake flew out one day and most likely found a mate then never returned because he stayed with the duck. I know my Khaki could probably fly over the fence but she chooses not too. She doesn't weigh 4 pounds. So small and so cute!
big_smile.png

The only reason I would say I wouldn't want ducks/drakes that can fly is the potential they would fly away and never return. I have had a few people tell me this happened to them. Especially drake owners. The drake flew out one day and most likely found a mate then never returned because he stayed with the duck. I know my Khaki could probably fly over the fence but she chooses not too. She doesn't weigh 4 pounds. So small and so cute!
big_smile.png

Looking for a mate is the most common reason domestic ducks fly away, and I've heard of females doing it as well. Ducks that are well cared for and in a mixed-gender flock very rarely fly away voluntarily even if they're able to fly. The only thing with flying ducks is that you need to keep them contained full-time for their first 2-3 weeks outside so they know where home is. The highlight of most of my days is going outside after work to open the pen, then having all or most of mine take to the air on the way to their pond.
wee.gif

@JadeComputerGal one more question for you, when your pekin started reaching duck laying maturity, did she develop the freckles? My pekin almost overnight developed the hormone freckles. I mean no joke, one morning I picked her up to put her out and no freckles, then the next morning, there they are!

@JadeComputerGal one more question for you, when your pekin started reaching duck laying maturity, did she develop the freckles? My pekin almost overnight developed the hormone freckles. I mean no joke, one morning I picked her up to put her out and no freckles, then the next morning, there they are!

My Pekin was male, but what you're describing is common in mature laying ducks. It's much more noticable in ducks with yellow or orange bills. The elements in their diet that keep the bill and legs bright are partly diverted to egg production. In other words, the color drains out of their nose and into the egg yolks.
gig.gif

My Pekin was male, but what you're describing is common in mature laying ducks. It's much more noticable in ducks with yellow or orange bills. The elements in their diet that keep the bill and legs bright are partly diverted to egg production. In other words, the color drains out of their nose and into the egg yolks.
gig.gif

Oh, and yes, I've seen it happen very quickly. Not overnight I don't think, but quickly enough that it seemed like overnight.

Back
Top Bottom