Ducks on Nests - Help :)

WindyOaksYokes

Songster
12 Years
Jul 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Oh goodness, I have 2 duck hens on 2 different nests. The girls have about 20 eggs each...
celebrate.gif

Here's where i need the help...

I have no clue when they are due... is there anyway to tell???

Also, what does it mean when they are throwing the eggs out of the nests? Is it the same as when chickens do it? The eggs not vital or something wrong??

I have read that it is best to take the lil ones away from mama when they hatch... Has anyone ever done this? Should I do this? what are the pro's and con's?

Should I be giving them more protien?

Should I be treating the same way I treat my chicken hens when they are setting on a nest?

Would it be okay to candle the eggs at night like I do the chicken eggs??

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance...
Tes

when our ducks hatched eggs, it was about 28 days, give or take a few. they hatched just fine, just kept food and water near just like normal. they will get off their nests now and then to eat and drink, unlike chickens.
do not keep water in with them when the ducks hatch, only a waterer that they can't get in, they will drown. we kept our ducks fenced in their own little area and the little ducklings did fine with their momma's. if you let them hatch a lot of eggs you will need lots of room.
sometimes they throw the eggs out, if they are bad. time will tell. good luck!
we did not candle eggs as the momma's were very protective of them!!!

Last edited:
Thank you Zats, one of them is pinned up, luckily her nest is in the second section of the chicken coup, which we can block the hole that is betweek sections. The other girl is down underneath our camper. They both get up and down regulary through the day. Yes, definately waterer will be given.. as for roon... LOL no wories about that... they have plenty...

We had to laugh the other day... have you ever seen this happen... papa was sitting on the nest with mama... did not bother the eggs none... just sat there talking to her... it was interesting....

Back
Top Bottom