Ducks + water

Only one light is on - the other is still there from when they were tiny. We should probably take that down, huh? The feed is not pictured in this photo but is kept on the opposite end from the water.

I add niacin - Can you share an exact ratio? I've seen several for large bags of feed but what if I'm putting it in their waterer! Or sprinkling it in their food? How much per gallon?!
@Miss Lydia is better at how much to give, i just bought brewers yeast and sprinkled it on their food every morning
hide.gif
lol

No idea if they fly - Rouen, Pekin, Khaki Campbell, Black Sweedish
they may try but not get far

where do you get the niacin and is it a powder?

Thanks
i bought if off amazon, i bought brewers yeast

For water, i saw a way that seemed to work well. You take a plastic water/milk jug and rinse it out well, then you cut a hole in the side big enough for them to stick their head in but small enough so they cant fit their body in. You could also cut in a horizontal rectangle instead so more of them can fit their heads in at the same time so they dont fight over it. The hole also has to be high enough so the water can stay inside/ be deep enough for them to put their whole head in but low enough so they can reach it

For water, i saw a way that seemed to work well. You take a plastic water/milk jug and rinse it out well, then you cut a hole in the side big enough for them to stick their head in but small enough so they cant fit their body in. You could also cut in a horizontal rectangle instead so more of them can fit their heads in at the same time so they dont fight over it. The hole also has to be high enough so the water can stay inside/ be deep enough for them to put their whole head in but low enough so they can reach it
thumbsup.gif

We are moving right along and getting the ducks situated for their permanent home outside. We have a large coop for our chickens, could we just add our ducks in with them?

If so, can we lock them in at night without water? I don't want water in the coop with the chickens as we all know the ducks will make a MESS!

Will they calm down? We didn't handle them a lot when they were younger because we have twin toddlers -- and, well, that's two more hands than I have. We didn't want one of the little duckies to get hurt. So we have been spending time bribing them with dried meal worms but they're still easily scared just by walking within 10 feet of them... did I already screw this up?

We are moving right along and getting the ducks situated for their permanent home outside. We have a large coop for our chickens, could we just add our ducks in with them?

If so, can we lock them in at night without water? I don't want water in the coop with the chickens as we all know the ducks will make a MESS!

Will they calm down? We didn't handle them a lot when they were younger because we have twin toddlers -- and, well, that's two more hands than I have. We didn't want one of the little duckies to get hurt. So we have been spending time bribing them with dried meal worms but they're still easily scared just by walking within 10 feet of them... did I already screw this up?

I'd recommend building a separate coop for the ducks- otherwise they get pooped on when they sleep underneath the perches, plus they will just mess up the coop. Although if this isn't an option they will do okay, it's just not ideal.

Do NOT give them water in their coop..... For ducks, Water + Bedding + Poop = a big sloppy mess.... As other posters said, don't give them food if they don't have access to water, so make sure they are fed outside.

Just keep bribing them with mealworms and peas.

Back
Top Bottom