Ducks with special Needs

Can you leave one of the others In with it? Other than just slow growing is the little one eating and drinking and fiesty? What breed and feed an supplements are you doing? And a pic please. :welcome

Can you leave one of the others In with it? Other than just slow growing is the little one eating and drinking and fiesty? What breed and feed an supplements are you doing? And a pic please. :welcome

This is a pic of Hopeful in the bath and in the brooder with his sibling who is a day younger. I call him Trouble. He needs to be out with the rest of the ducks. Hopeful is eating, drinking, and acts like a normal baby. He just isn't growing as fast or getting feathers. He's eating tractor supply Dumor starter grower feed. I'm also giving him niacin supplement and mealworms. Breed? I have no idea since he's home hatched. We have buffs, black swedish/Cayuga mix, and Perkins in flock. We also had mallard males, but they were grabbed by predators. We have a mallard female, but I know she's not the mother.

Attachments

• IMG_20200422_172857.jpg
    IMG_20200422_172857.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20200424_083602_MP.jpg
    IMG_20200424_083602_MP.jpg
    504.3 KB · Views: 11
Okay so a little mixed breed. Looks pretty sparse on the feathers for sure. First off we’ve been seeing quite a few ducklings not doing so well on dumor and with this little one is rec changing feed over to a duck specific like Purina Flock Raider crumbles or Nutrina All flock crumbles actually it would be best for all of your duckling and other poultry if you have other. Then a good B Complex vitamin like liquid b complex by Durvet this has all Bs in it and can really help one that’s lagging behind. The b complex will say injectable but we use it orally for our ducklings and ducks. 1/2ml morning an night. Over a tasty treat like mealworms or what ever will get him to gobble up full dose. Putting anything in their water doesn’t help all that much first it’s watered down and also so much is wasted from splashing. Not drinking it all too. So orally is best. It’s good it has a good appetite and is normal in all ways except growth an feathering but I do think this can be helped. I’d also give them a larger brooder so they can run around an get exercise which is helpful for getting those legs strong.

Its the B complex that your duckling needs, { adequate amount of niacin daily is 100 mgs. per duckling. Signs of niacin deficiency include lack of weight gain, failure to thrive, and reluctance to walk. Eventually, leg development is affected, and the legs become bowed to the point where the waterfowl cannot walk. If not caught and corrected early, the damage from the niacin deficiency can be irreversible. }
1587827858036.png

I have a 7week old duckling that stopped walking at 2 weeks. We have had some ups and downs with her slightly improving and then declining. We think it's neurological( took her to avian vet but no real answers) she currently cant stand without support and can't walk.I have been giving her niacin/brewers yeast with garlic,b complex,probiotics, calcium,tried vet rx. oregano oil,colloidal silver, cbd for pets. No real improvement. vet gave me pain meds and doxycyline but no improvement with that either. she is eating and drinking. She is growing very slowly compared to the other ducklings I got at the same age.All are 7 weeks old. she opens and closes her mouth constantly and sticks her tongue out when doing it. she doesn't seem to be able to stand on both legs at the same time with out her body getting all twisted. she also won't bend both legs under her when laying down. she either pushes one out to the side or both out in front of her. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Any ideas of what it could be so I can treat accordingly. I made her a wheelchair but she tries to get out of it.

Hi there and I am sorry you and your duckling are going through this.

It might be hard but I think its good they are fighting the wheelchair - shows spirit !

I appreciate you've been giving a lot of supplements but I don't think I saw ACE + selenium ?

One of our very few success stories this year (Wonky - his story is in the forums) definitely benefited from having the b complex and the ace + selenium - we also added honey in for energy and acv occasionally for support.

Took an age and he still sits down a lot but he is out with the other squeakers and doing ok !

It was very stressful on us as well as Wonky so pls make sure you are looking after you as much as you are this duckling.

It would be great if you could share a pic of the duckling and your set up if you have one pls !

Back
Top Bottom